Discussions

News: CRUD Operation using JSF,Web Services and OJB

1. CRUD Operation using JSF,Web Services and OJB (7 messages)

This article explains the use case of adding, updating, searching and deleting using JSF, Web Services and OJB in WebSphere Integration Develope. The article discusses the steps in developing each layer including the integration among these layers. The following are some key features of OJB: -Provides flexibility through support to multiple persistence APIs -The applications that are designed and developed using OJB are scalable for future enhancements. -It support JNDI lookups and Bean Managed Persistence -The XML based ORM helps to manipulate during run-time -It provides a flexible configuration and plug-in mechanism that allows to select from set of predefined components. -The open source feature with 100% pure Java orientation facilitates rapid development. Message was edited by: jvaughan@techtarget.com

Threaded Messages (7)

2. key features[ Go to top ]

The article forgot to mention one key feature: rapid complexity.
  3. What's the point of this? Why would anyone wish to use WS for remoting within an application where the goal is just CRUD? You could as well use an ERM like OJB or Hibernate directly for "remoting". And if for some reasons you'd really like to seperate the layers there are much leaner technologies to do so. Although I must say that I kind of like the icon of the exploding web service in figure 1.
  4. ...support to multiple persistence API...
    We have JPA for this purpose. No need to add layers to this stack. Webservices for CRUD operations???? Architecting the slowest implementation available does not seem right to me. JSF. Although this is a standard, it is imho the most bloated technique and not necessary for simple crud development. Seems to me (seeing the article), that is a recipe for disaster in the area of performance.
    This article explains the use case of adding, updating, searching and deleting using JSF, Web Services and OJB in WebSphere Integration Develope. The article discusses the steps in developing each layer including the integration among these layers.

The following are some key features of OJB:
    -Provides flexibility through support to multiple persistence APIs
    -The applications that are designed and developed using OJB are scalable for future enhancements.
    -It support JNDI lookups and Bean Managed Persistence
    -The XML based ORM helps to manipulate during run-time
    -It provides a flexible configuration and plug-in mechanism that allows to select from set of predefined components.
    -The open source feature with 100% pure Java orientation facilitates rapid development.

Message was edited by: jvaughan at techtarget dot com
  5. http://blogs.sun.com/winston/entry/is_objectlistdataprovider_transactional ObjectListDataProvider is the way to go with JSF. I built some over a Spring service layer. Below is an example which also creates a dummy record for design time visual layout. /** * * @version $Id: LocationDataProvider.java 184 2009-11-05 20:22:27Z sgoldsmith $ * $LastChangedDate: 2009-11-05 15:22:27 -0500 (Thu, 05 Nov 2009) $ * * @author sgoldsmith */ public class LocationDataProvider extends ObjectListDataProvider { private static final long serialVersionUID = -3516123960431769086L; private List locationList = new ArrayList(); /** * Creates a new instance of HierarchyListDataProvider with dummy data. */ public LocationDataProvider() { Location location = new Location(); location.setInHierarchy(Boolean.TRUE); location.setInLvl1(Boolean.TRUE); location.setLocationId(0); location.setLocationNum("000"); location.setName("Location Name"); // Put in dummy data for design time locationList.add(location); // Wrap the list setList(locationList); } /** * Refresh hierarchy list from service layer. * * @param hierarchyLocService Service layer * @param clientNum Client Number * @param hierarchyId Hierarchy ID * @param hierarchyLvl1Id Hierarchy Level 1 ID * @param sqlLookUp Look up value for SQL statement */ public void refresh(final HierarchyLocService hierarchyLocService, final String clientNum, final int hierarchyId, final int hierarchyLvl1Id, final String sqlLookUp) { // Clear list locationList.clear(); try { locationList.addAll(hierarchyLocService.getLocationList(clientNum, hierarchyId, hierarchyLvl1Id, sqlLookUp)); } catch (SQLException e) { //log.error(ExceptionUtils.getStackTrace(e)); } } }
  6. someone is high on something here! CRUD operatiosn using all this complicated, heavy dute, underperformaing set of technologies?? i would not even do a prototype with this crazy combination. i hope it was not meant as a joke before holidays ;)
  7. Nice info thanks[ Go to top ]

Hi That is very crucial information for my personal knowledge and my development work, Google Wave forum
  8. OJB is an interesting way to accelerate Java development of CRUD applications. Another way to approach this is to use open source Java RAD tools like WaveMaker or sMash. See a 15 second hello world demo here WaveMaker is a visual development tool for building Java web apps based on Spring/Hibernate/Dojo. WaveMaker studio produces standard WAR files that deploy to any Java server and can be edited with a standard Java IDE like Eclipse. Try the cloud version at: http://cloud.wavemaker.com