Terracotta Aquires Quartz Scheduler Open-Source Project

Discussions

News: Terracotta Aquires Quartz Scheduler Open-Source Project

1. You can see Terracotta's press release on their website here: Terracotta Announces Acquisition of Quartz. The short of it is that Quartz will remain open source, project infrastructure will move to Terracotta servers, there will be increased project investment for new and improved features, and Terracotta will be providing commercial support services. Quartz is by far the most ubiquitous Java scheduler, and as a heavy user of Quartz I'm happy to see it will be getting increased investment. Looking forward to what comes of this new arrangement.
  2. Congratulations[ Go to top ]

Congratulations :) This is where Alex Miller was talking about. I hope that Quartz still can be used without needing Terracotta. Although Terracotta is a very nice platform for doing distributed computing, not all applications need tc.
  3. Re: Congratulations[ Go to top ]

Much like our ehcache product we will have a clustered and unclustered version and both will get attention. Wouldn't make sense to pick up a ubiquitous product and then damage that ubiquity.
    Congratulations :) This is where Alex Miller was talking about.

I hope that Quartz still can be used without needing Terracotta. Although Terracotta is a very nice platform for doing distributed computing, not all applications need tc.
  4. Re: Congratulations[ Go to top ]

I hope that Quartz still can be used without needing Terracotta.
    That's right. We'll not be throwing out options - rather, we'll be adding new ones.
  5. Nice match[ Go to top ]

Quartz is an excellent scheduler but having to use a database to enable clustering was often troublesome and a bit excessive in resource for what it was achieving. Terracotta's plugin to use its distributed JVM technology makes it less resource intensive and a lot more elegant.
  6. Re: Congratulations[ Go to top ]

Congratulations, James. You've worked hard and intelligently on Quartz these many years. Kind regards, David Flux - Java Job Scheduler. File Transfer. Workflow. http://www.fluxcorp.com
  7. How do you 'acquire' an open-source project? Do you just hire the committers? Erwin
  8. I'll buy the Jt framework for 1 penny
  9. How do you 'acquire' an open-source project?
    Do you just hire the committers?

Erwin
    Do you know what the intellectual property is? Do you know the intellectual property has owners?
  10. Hi Erwin, The fact that it is open source does not mean that it has no owners. The copyright of the code belongs to someone (or some entity, like a company). This it the intellectual property (IP). You could argue that the fact that the source code has been made open source, and released under some OS license, reduces the value of the IP. But there are other things that can be bought as part of a 'project', these are a trade mark and a domain name. This is the case of JBoss for example, I think that in their case, they could not sell the IP because it belonged to dozens of contributors. Still, the domain name, trade mark and know-how was bought for many millions... :) Regards, Paul Casal Developer - jBilling.com
  11. How do you 'acquire' an open-source project?
    Do you just hire the committers?

Erwin
    You buy the original rights. Normally, everyone can copy, change and distribute the source, but that's only by following the terms that the copyright holder has imposed on you for doing that. Something which most (all?) licenses do not permit is distributing the source under an other license. Only the legitimate copyright holder is permitted to do that. If some party is interested in obtaining a closed source license, then only you as this legitimate copyright holder are allowed to sell them this. But the question is nevertheless an interesting one. Technically, what does acquiring an open-source project exactly entails? Is is *only* the transfer of the copy-right, or indeed, does it also include hiring the main developers? Does it include an agreement that the current committers acknowledge that the acquiring from now on dictates the direction of the project?
  12. Hi, I am trying to integrate Quartz with Hibernate (no SPRING). But when ever I do this, I get UserTransaction exceptions. Is there a reference implementation for Quartz integrtaion with just Hibernate alone?? Reply back to kesavramesh@gmail.com