ZK 5 RC2 Released

Discussions

News: ZK 5 RC2 Released

1. ZK 5 RC2 Released (15 messages)

The ZK team is pleased to release ZK 5 RC2 with its developer-centric and architectural innovation such as Server+Client Fusion and Ajax-as-a-Service. In addition to the architectural innovations the RC2 boasts new components and features such as:
    • New Colorbox component – Allows the picking of a color using an Ajax driven dialog
    • New Flashchart component – Provides new charting functionality based on Flash
    • Enhanced grid functionality – Includes, but not limited to, Freezing and auto sizing columns
    • Performance – Ability to use the cacheable ThemeProvider and reusing the Desktop
    For a complete list of new features please take a look here. Download & other resources Download ZK 5 RC2 ZK RC2 release notes
  2. I'm very glad that finally ZK team decided to distribute this nice piece of software under the LGPL license.
  3. Let's be very clear, though. The Community Edition (the majority of the functionality) will be LGPL. My understanding is that there will continue to be Professional and Enterprise editions that will require licensing in order for you to use in your non-LGPL projects.
  4. Let's be very clear, though. The Community Edition (the majority of the functionality) will be LGPL. My understanding is that there will continue to be Professional and Enterprise editions that will require licensing in order for you to use in your non-LGPL projects.
    No, one of the biggest innovations of the 5th release is the change of the license: from GPL to LGPL, thus:
    Now, with the LGPL-licensed ZK 5 Community Edition, you are free to use, develop and deploy your ZK powered application/framework, regardless of whether it is open source, proprietary, or commercial.
    There are many other numerous innovations in this release... see: ZK 5 RC2 change to LGPL license Bye.
  5. Unfortunately many big features are still under the commercial license ZK Commercial Like: 1. JFreeChart 2. captcha 3. professional layout components 4. ZK Calendar 5. ZK Spring 6. ZK Mobile Why are all these basic features still for payment?
  6. It's a terrific framework. It has managed to gain a wide following these past few years while being under the GPL, which was never appropriate for a framework such as this. Compare how easy it is to write really rich web apps with ZK compared to the other open-source alternatives out there. I think it (still) has them all beat. I'm conflicted about the license change. I'd like to see developers make money and they are free to do as they wish. They will have to make sure they put a lot of thought into what features go into what package. If the community senses the LGPL addition is being slowly sacrificed and phased out in favor of the commercial, then I think ZK will risk alot of people leaving for alternatives.
  7. Thanks to everyone posting in this thread with your concerns, I am here to address them. I would like to highlight most new features which have been added to ZK 5 have been placed into the community edition, including features such as the frozen column and sizeable panel. Therefore a strong community edition is at the forefront of our strategy. If you require charting then you can make use of the FlashChart component in ZK Community Edition for free or you can implement your own charting using tutorials part 1 and 2. ZK Spring, ZK Calendar and ZK Spreadsheet are and will remain GPL and if you require a captcha component Dennis will donate his implementation to the community. The Community edition is based around collaboration, therefore we encourage people to create and integrate 3rd party components. The Professional and Enterprise editions are for more cautious organizations that require functionality guarantees and commercial support from us. If you have any concerns I invite you to email us and discuss them, or you can also make use of our forum to express your opinion. I look forward to your feedback.
  8. I think that the Spring integration is the most important feature that should be under the LGPL license. I think ZK is a great framework, and should be completely LGPL in order to compete seriously with JSF frameworks....only my opinion! Bye.
  9. You were given feeddback, you simply ignored it! Adios ZK!
  10. Unfortunately many big features are still under the commercial license

ZK Commercial

Like:

1. JFreeChart
    2. captcha
    3. professional layout components
    4. ZK Calendar
    5. ZK Spring
    6. ZK Mobile

Why are all these basic features still for payment?
    Looks like IceFaces started the same strategy, asked this similar question in the ZK forum, but didn't get a response. The good thing, discovered PrimeFaces, an Apache license JSF 1.2/2.0 component suit. No confusing commercial mixture of anything, unless you want support!
  11. It doesn't make sense the following: JFreeChart Captcha ZK Spring Professional Layout Components to be under commercial license But to ZK Calendar and ZK Mobile you can put it above commercial license. One thing we as ZK community can think is to create our own components competing JFreeChart, Captcha, ZK Spring and Professional Layout.
  12. It doesn't make sense the following:
    JFreeChart
    Captcha
    ZK Spring
    Professional Layout Components
    to be under commercial license

But to ZK Calendar and ZK Mobile you can put it above commercial license.
    I agree: in that way they are still using the Commercial licence because ZK without Captcha, Spring integration and others is not usable, IMHO, with this conditions I prefer JSF.

One thing we as ZK community can think is to create our own components competing JFreeChart, Captcha, ZK Spring and Professional Layout.
    I think not: all these features are part of the framework.
  13. I think not: all these features are part of the framework.
    Just as workaround, because we can't live without.
  14. Good news: http://zkoss.org/license/faq.dsp I can upgrade my GPL-compatible app from ZK 3 to ZK 5 EE totally free!
  15. As what I know in ZK5: 1. JFreeChart (not sure) 2. captcha (LGPL, it's inside zul.jar like Borderlayout) 3. professional layout components(not sure) 4. ZK Calendar(maybe GPL, but not done yet) 5. ZK Spring(GPL) 6. ZK Mobile (Apache) My point of view is: ZK is moving from GPL to LGPL. I don't think the "proprietary part" or "GPL" will spread, I believe LGPL will replace those "proprietary part" or "GPL" finally.
  16. Re: ZK 5 RC2 Released[ Go to top ]

I think Spring is being deprecated now that Java EE 6 Final Release. I think ZK should now concentrate in Java EE 6 Final Release. Regards,