IntelliJ IDEA 9 Released, Includes Free Edition

Discussions

News: IntelliJ IDEA 9 Released, Includes Free Edition

1. IntelliJ IDEA 9 Released, Includes Free Edition (22 messages)

IntelliJ IDEA 9 is out. Included are *Two editions:Community Edition, free and open-source, and Ultimate Edition. * Much faster environment, with background indexing on startup * Extensive Java EE 6 support * Many productivity features in core Java functionality * Best-of-breed PHP support, with dedicated debugger, PHPUnit, etc. * Visual editor for defining the structure of project deliverables (.war, .ear archives, etc.) * AIR support, ActionScript refactorings, and other Flex support improvements * And lots more! Read more about what’s new. — IntelliJ IDEA Team

Threaded Messages (22)

2. WTF???[ Go to top ]

Ok, I've been using maia EAP for months now. The latest milestone was completely unusable for grails. It randomly locks up on GSP editing and this can be replicated each time by selecting the full GSP page and formatting it. I think it's a big enough issue to fix before the final release. http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issue/IDEA-26358 Hmmm, doesn't seem like you guys have even attempted to look at this issue. Ilya
  3. Re: WTF???[ Go to top ]

I personally enjoy using Intellij, but for Grails related development, I've found that STS (Spring Tool Suite which is Eclipse based) is more up to date with changes to the Grails framework than Intellij. I started to use STS more and more now for this and other similar reasons. Regards, Richard L. Burton III http://www.SmartCodeLLC.com
  4. STSS vs IntelliJ[ Go to top ]

HI, Richard, Would you care to elaborate on your comment ? IMHO, IntelliJ had the best Grails support for a while now, and STSS is only a relative newcomer. Surely it cant be better ?
  5. every feature then mention is supported or better supported in Netbeans...generally these IDE are officially supported by all framework providers like spring . flex, google pp engine , hybernate, and app servers ....i dont understand what productivity benefit anybody would get IntelJ .....i tried my self and gave up as there nothing special in it ....may be its for those lazy folks who two lazy to install plugins or those want waste their money
  6. People pay for only one reason, IntelliJ, even with some minor flaws is leaps and bounds better than Eclipse and Netbeans. There is just not much of a comparison. There are some plugins for eclipse that beat IntelliJ, just because folks seem to be concentrating more on eclipse based plugins these days, probably due to its market share, not because it's better in any way. Either way, even with some plugins missing, there are non for me actually, IntelliJ still beats eclipse and netbeans hands down.
  7. Well, I for one pay because I can afford to pay. :-) Two, I still find Idea to be a better tool, for me. I'll use Eclipse and say GWT Designer to get mostly there, then switch over to Idea to do the "real work." Free should never be the ultimate metric upon which to make a decision. And talk about lazy, check your spelling and punctuation...yikes!
  8. Simple answer to your question....Software is only free if our time is worthless. The average consultant bills at $200/hour. The average software engineer costs his or her company twice the actual pay you get. So if you're paid 100k, you probably cost your company 200k after taxes, benefits, and administrative overhead. You'd have to be pretty foolish not to pay for an inexpensive tool if it makes you more productive. At $250 or $599, if it makes you 1% more efficient than a free tool, you've earned an ROI of 300%. If you at all like IntelliJ, it's well worth the cost. Congratulations JetBrains on the new release.
  9. Flex & Grails[ Go to top ]

I for one am very happy to see the added Flex & Air support, but agree that the Grails support should be better.
  10. No sensible Scala support...[ Go to top ]

It's really said that only rudimentary Scala support is included. At least something like Groovy support will really help to push Scala further. For now - this support is a toy... Nikita Ivanov. GridGain - Cloud Development Platform
  11. Re: No sensible Scala support...[ Go to top ]

Given the amount of work we've put into the Scala support, and the feedback that we get comparing it with the Scala support in other IDEs, I really don't think that "rudimentary" is an appropriate description for it. Are there any specific features you would like to see that are currently missing?
  12. Best Scala integartion in IDE[ Go to top ]

After using Scala plugins for Eclipse and Netbeans, I must say that IDEA's Scala plugin is stellar in comparison. It has great support for BDD using Specs because of integrated Specs Runner, which as of IDEA 9 release is on par with JUnit runner. Code formater is very usable. Editor handles the complex Scala syntax very well. It even supports basic refactorings. There is of course a lot of room for improvement, when comparing with state of the art Java support in any IDE, but the Scala support in IDEA 9 is the best you can get in the end of 2009!
  13. Great news ...[ Go to top ]

Glad you have the latest version out. And for you ever complaining guys above: I wanted one feature to be there as well and it isn't but I can see that %99.9 of remaining ones are there - you see it is meant to be primarily JAVA IDE, if you do something else find tool which gives you accepted level of support. Simple.
  14. Re: Great news ...[ Go to top ]

Grails, Groovy and Scala are Java based. It makes sense that IDEA would support them
  15. Re: Great news ...[ Go to top ]

Yes they are - as is another 100+ languages capable of running inside JVM as of today. But anyways say for Scala someone said that only rudimentary Scala support is included. I've been doing Scala inside Intelli/J Idea since February this year and doing just OK. Be just a bit patient crawling spiders and singing birds auto-completion support is on its way - and in the meantime why don't you just do it old-fashioned way -- write code.
  16. Re: Great news ...[ Go to top ]

for you ever complaining guys above: I wanted one feature to be there as well and it isn't but I can see that %99.9 of remaining ones are there - you see it is meant to be primarily JAVA IDE, if you do something else find tool which gives you accepted level of support. Simple.
    JetBrains is the one promoting Intellij as IDE that wants to make inroads into the Grails and Flex worlds. So we are "complaining" because they still have a little work to do. If they want to drop their support for Flex and Grails and say they are only a Java "Language" IDE, then I will remain silent (and find another tool).
  17. Re: Great news ...[ Go to top ]

Agree, we're not complaining about adding features, rather fixing the bugs in the features that they have. Also, IDE locking up, as the issue I have whenever I edit a GSP page, specifically when I format it, is not acceptable whether they have good or bad support for Grails in general. It should lock up for any reason, let alone after I've added a JIRA a week ago, well in advance of their production release.
  18. Re: Great news ...[ Go to top ]

I mean "it should not lock up for **any** reason", let alone when we gave them a specific reproducible one.
  19. Re: Great news ...[ Go to top ]

Given the amount of work we've put into the Scala support, and the feedback that we get comparing it with the Scala support in other IDEs, I really don't think that "rudimentary" is an appropriate description for it. Are there any specific features you would like to see that are currently missing?
  20. Re: Great news ...[ Go to top ]

Sorry, wrong thread :(
  21. What are the plans for intellij 10?[ Go to top ]

Intellij has been and probably will be my main ide for Java development because the Java support and integration with all kinds of frameworks like hibernate spring etc just rock. I hope that the scala support is going to improve in the comming releases because that is not as powerful as the Java support. What are the plans for intellij 10? Peter veentjer http://multiverse.googlecode.com
  22. The free edition is too poor[ Go to top ]

Comparing the free edition of IDEA to Eclipse or Netbeans, IDEA is the loser: Feature matrix Come on! No application server support? Neither JSP support? Oh dear...
  23. P4 supprt in IntelliJ still sucks[ Go to top ]

I'm using IntelliJ at work. The only way to not issues too many (more than 5000) commands in a day is to set perfoce work offline most of the time and set work-online just when I want to submit. Basically, IJ is doing a full synchronize each time I switch to another application or I save a file.