Goodbye Gears

Discussions

News: Goodbye Gears

1. Goodbye Gears (6 messages)

When Google introduced Gears, it promised a revolutionary way to allow developers to create applications that seamlessly worked online and off. With the advent of HTML 5, they have decided to end Gears, so the developers could focus on a common standard. Gears was an open source project that allowed applications to interact naturally with the desktop. It was baked into Gmail, Google Reader, and more recently search. Data can be stored locally in a fully searchable database making it possible for a user to synchronize with the Web and then work on the road without a Web connection. It enables applications to be fully bidirectional so that users could make changes to things, which is reflected online the next time they connect. But HTML 5 now supports much of the functionality of Gears, and Google wants to encourage the developer community to focus on a single standard. A Google spokesperson wrote the LA times in an email, that HTML 5 is a logical next step for developers interested in supporting offline access and geolocation support. Have you used Gears or any other technologies for enabling offline support to your applications? What do you see as the challenges and opportunities of moving to HTML 5? Read the LA Times Article about the end of Gears: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2009/11/google-gears.html

Threaded Messages (6)

2. great, so now what?[ Go to top ]

So Gears is "sort of" being supported, HTML 5 isn't really commercially available and I'm about to launch a mobile web project that has a cross-platform geolocation requirement. Any smart mobile developers out there have any suggestions on what technology to use to support this?
  3. mobile cross-platform[ Go to top ]

Take a look in PhoneGap(http://phonegap.com/)
  4. Write a facading layer[ Go to top ]

Did I miss something? Is there some reason insulating yourself from the vagaries of whatever implementation you choose isn't a good idea?
  5. Re: Write a facading layer[ Go to top ]

Did I miss something? Is there some reason insulating yourself from the vagaries of whatever implementation you choose isn't a good idea?
    A lot people consider this to be over-designing. I would guess most of those people have never been burned by a vendor or library, etc i.e. they are inexperienced or really lucky. It's one of those things that it's hard to convince people that it's worthwhile until they experience a problem firsthand.
  6. Obviously. . .[ Go to top ]

Obviously we're going to encapsulate whatever we use with a implementation-neutral interface. That will take all of 5 minutes. My concern is the underlying implementation and how long it will be supported. Google says it will continue to support Gears so sites that use it won't break, but what does this mean? It doesn't work on Snow Leopard already, and I haven't heard they plan to support it. Gears seems to break with ever dot release of Firefox, and take awhile to come out with a compatible release. As browsers (mobile or otherwise) are continually patched, how long (or how far) can we expect that support to go? My gut tells me to stay away from it but am curious what the other options are if anyone knows of any. Thanks!
  7. Re: Goodbye Gears[ Go to top ]

The Article in LA Times have a update: The Google spokesman wrote to clarify in a follow-up e-mail, "We're continuing to support Gears so that nothing breaks for sites that use it. But we expect developers to use HTML5 for these features moving forward as it's a standards-based approach that will be available across all browsers." I Will work with Gears in my next project and no feeling wrong in this.