Apache Click book

Discussions

News: Apache Click book

1. Apache Click book (9 messages)

Author Frederic Daoud is a software developer who has been using Java since 1997 and developing web applications since the "pre-JSP" days of just Servlets. "Getting Started With Apache Click" is his second book on a web framework. This book starts with the basics and moves on to creating a sample application. Book describes developing Web applications with Java and Apache Velocity templates, creating reusable controls, using them to assemble your pages, and giving your application a consistent look with reusable layouts. You'll also learn how to integrate popular third-party frameworks such as Spring, Hibernate, and Java Persistence API (JPA). http://www.fdaoud.com/clickbook Message was edited by: staff

Threaded Messages (9)

2. Re: Apache Click book[ Go to top ]

Freddy do you know what are the main difference b/w Apache click vs Apache wicket. When I see the users/forum list of Apache wicket at least on nablle it looks like the most popular page/component based frame work at least in Java space. Is there any justification for Click, other than the old excuse of competition being good. RJ.
  3. Re: Apache Click book[ Go to top ]

Hi Rashid, I think Wicket/Tapestry/JSF takes the approach that web development will be better if it was more desktop like. A big part of that goal is that components and pages should be stateful. Stateful web frameworks are well suited for building desktop like web applications but they are also sophisticated and have steeper learning curves. Click also takes a page and component oriented approach but lean towards the idea that stateless Pages and components are better and that the web is great the way it is. So even though a Click example might look similar to a Wicket example, the behavior is quite different. In Click the Page is recreated each request while in Wicket the Page is created once and reused in subsequent requests. Interestingly, Wicket has support for stateless pages while Click has support for stateful pages, so both frameworks acknowledge the alternative but it is not the norm. Kind regards Bob
  4. Re: Apache Click book[ Go to top ]

This is a great book. I reviewed an initial draft, its very easy to read and is a great compliment to the Apache Click documentation. I highly recommend it to anyone learning Click. I bought 2 copies for the office :) regards Malcolm Edgar
  5. Congratulation![ Go to top ]

Hi Fred, Congratulation for your book. I do not know much about Click but I know your first book quality. Regards, Tarik
  6. Re: Apache Click book[ Go to top ]

@Rashid: Comparing frameworks is always a touchy issue, and the best thing remains to try out an example or two yourself and see what you prefer. That said, to at least answer your question, I do like Eelco's comparison as posted here: http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=44939#231453 @Tarik: Thank you for your kind words :-)
  7. Re: Apache Click book[ Go to top ]

Thanks Bob and Freddy for your response. First of all I don't have any emotional attachments to any web framework/language. What ever works for me I use it and screw rest of the world opinion, most of the time:-) I just tried being pragmatic and needed to know more about Click, and Freddy's link and Bob's explanation helped. BTW Freddy I heard lot of good comments about your stripe book, never got chance to read it, but I know one day at work if situation demands to use Stripe, where to look for. Thanks for sharing your experience with rest of the community. RJ.
  8. Re: Apache Click book[ Go to top ]

After using Google Web Toolkit with the Ext GWT component library, i will hate to ever have to go back to these cumbersome, spaghetti code frameworks. GWT is so far ahead of these frameworks and even the "new" JEE presentation stuff.
  9. Lulu[ Go to top ]

Lulu books have an ISBN or not? Without ISBN it cannot be ordered from Amazon.
  10. Re: Lulu[ Go to top ]

Lulu books have an ISBN or not? Without ISBN it cannot be ordered from Amazon.
    The author chooses whether or not to purchase an ISBN and a package to make the book available on Amazon. I chose not to purchase, to keep the price of the book low. You are correct, this means the book is only available from Lulu.