Discussions

News: EC gives Oracle nod to acquire Sun

1. EC gives Oracle nod to acquire Sun (15 messages)

It was bumpy along the way but today the European Commission (EC) officially approved Oracle’s $7.4 billion acquisition of Sun Microsystems which could see the combined company significantly change the competitive landscape of the IT industry. Among the competetive issues considered by the EC were the futures of MySQL and Java in light of the merger.
    "I am now satisfied that competition and innovation will be preserved on all the markets concerned. Oracle's acquisition of Sun has the potential to revitalize important assets and create new and innovative products," said Neelie Kroes, the European antitrust commissioner, said in a prepared statement.
    http://searchoracle.techtarget.com/news/2240016123/Oracle-gains-the-ECs-approval-to-acquire-Sun
  2. I propose the following: 1) Spring* + Tomcat + PostgreSQL*. 2) Spring* + Jetty + PostgreSQL*. 3) Wicket* + [Spring] + Tomcat + PostgreSQL*. 4) Wicket* + [Spring] + Jetty + PostgreSQL*. 5) RoR + PostgreSQL*. 6) M.O.M's, SOA,...? (ApacheMQ, Servicemix, CXF, ....) Where * can be any other mature alternatives. [] - Optional.
  3. There is always Jonas http://wiki.jonas.ow2.org/ if you are concerned abut the availability of a good and mature FOSS Java EE application server
  4. Goodbye MySQL. The power of money & corporate greed will kill you and you wont even know. It was a great ride while it lasted. I hope i dont have to shell out money for downloading java going forward. OpenJDK, Tomcat - Here i come. Only silver lining - i hope weblogic implodes under its own weight because oracle doesnt know how crappy that app server is. I know i will get some bashing from the weblogic folks. But i have used it for 5 years and still sucks. remember how much you marketd portal and i had called itout as crap. what happend now ? you are taking it out .. i wonder why ? :)
  5. Goodbye MySQL.
    The power of money & corporate greed will kill you and you wont even know. It was a great ride while it lasted.
    I hope i dont have to shell out money for downloading java going forward.

OpenJDK, Tomcat - Here i come.

Only silver lining - i hope weblogic implodes under its own weight because oracle doesnt know how crappy that app server is. I know i will get some bashing from the weblogic folks. But i have used it for 5 years and still sucks. remember how much you marketd portal and i had called itout as crap. what happend now ? you are taking it out .. i wonder why ? :)
    MySQL does not worries me as i am a happy PostgreSQL follower. Don't really know what to expect on java, also hope not to start seeing personal/professional/enterprise/trial versions. But on Weblogic, i know a bunch of companies that just start trembling when they hear a possible open source alternative. Don't ask me why but that it is. So, on the application server market if weblogic implodes, what (well established) commercial alternative would i have? websphere???? no thanks!! Not talking about anything above the server (portal, integration, aqualogic's, etc,etc,etc.) that is another story, but on the server itself i think it's a pretty good server. (used for about 8 years now) Regards
  6. Goodbye MySQL.
    The power of money & corporate greed will kill you and you wont even know. It was a great ride while it lasted.

Only silver lining - i hope weblogic implodes under its own weight because oracle doesnt know how crappy that app server is. I know i will get some bashing from the weblogic folks. But i have used it for 5 years and still sucks. remember how much you marketd portal and i had called itout as crap. what happend now ? you are taking it out .. i wonder why ? :)

MySQL does not worries me as i am a happy PostgreSQL follower.
    Don't really know what to expect on java, also hope not to start seeing personal/professional/enterprise/trial versions.
    But on Weblogic, i know a bunch of companies that just start trembling when they hear a possible open source alternative. Don't ask me why but that it is.
    So, on the application server market if weblogic implodes, what (well established) commercial alternative would i have? websphere???? no thanks!!
    Not talking about anything above the server (portal, integration, aqualogic's, etc,etc,etc.) that is another story, but on the server itself i think it's a pretty good server. (used for about 8 years now)

Regards
    +1. I think people running MySQL and GlassFish should evaluate their options - even though these products would be around at least for a couple of years, the amount of innovation on them would either limited and/or the decisions would be made by people who are used to building complex, heavy weight solutions that thrive on increasing complexity. On the other hand, products like Apache Tomcat continue to be light weight, effective solutions for 90% of the web applications. I am sure, similar effective solutions exist for database users as well.
  7. Goodbye MySQL.

MySQL does not worries me as i am a happy PostgreSQL follower.
    Don't really know what to expect on java, also hope not to start seeing personal/professional/enterprise/trial versions.
    But on Weblogic, i know a bunch of companies that just start trembling when they hear a possible open source alternative. Don't ask me why but that it is.
    So, on the application server market if weblogic implodes, what (well established) commercial alternative would i have? websphere???? no thanks!!
    Not talking about anything above the server (portal, integration, aqualogic's, etc,etc,etc.) that is another story, but on the server itself i think it's a pretty good server. (used for about 8 years now)

Regards

+1.

I think people running MySQL and GlassFish should evaluate their options - even though these products would be around at least for a couple of years, the amount of innovation on them would either limited and/or the decisions would be made by people who are used to building complex, heavy weight solutions that thrive on increasing complexity.

On the other hand, products like Apache Tomcat continue to be light weight, effective solutions for 90% of the web applications. I am sure, similar effective solutions exist for database users as well.
    i m amazed that you think there is no other commerical app server option other than weblogic ? I have you heard about resin or Spring Tc ( part of VM ware) or JBOSS ( part of RedHAT) ? All these are big companies with some of the best technologies and features which are much better than weblogic. Plus there are more than 10 big companies which provide commerical support for apache tomcat or glassfish. i will chose them over weblogic or web sphere ..anyday. Oracle acquired BEA only for customer base - not because weblogic is better app server. Infact Oracle app server is much better than weblogic. .. but i dont want to make it a thread about app servers. :) .
  8. Goodbye MySQL.

What I'm confused about is the worry about MySQL. If Oracle does something stupid with it, don't you think a group will fork an appropriate version and make OurSQL and it will live on forever? As for Java, I don't think Oracle wants to do something that would give the community the opportunity to say "see, we told you they would do that" and high tail it in another direction. The hit they'd take for that would be immeasurable. And as you mentioned...OpenJDK & Tomcat. Maybe I'm naive or an eternal optimist...
  9. Forks are useless[ Go to top ]

If Oracle does something stupid with it, don't you think a group will fork an appropriate version and make OurSQL and it will live on forever?
    Nope. Some have already forked MySQL. You have never heard from them after the initial buzz. Forks are ineffective and useless. Oracle knows that.
  10. Forking an open source project with a happy vibrant community is one thing - forking to preserve the core benefits of the open source project is quite another. Check out this link from Pingdom that catalogs 10 successful community forks - ever heard of Ubuntu, Firefox or Joomla? Open source forks all of them. If Oracle screws up its stewardship of MySQL, history would say that there is a high probability of having a successful fork (I like the name OurQL ;-)
  11. Sorry, I was busy ranting, forgot to post the pingdom link: http://royal.pingdom.com/2008/09/11/10-interesting-open-source-software-forks-and-why-they-happened/
  12. Sorry, I was busy ranting, forgot to post the pingdom link:

http://royal.pingdom.com/2008/09/11/10-interesting-open-source-software-forks-and-why-they-happened/
    That was a nice article. However, I partially agree with the previous poster as well. Perhaps forks aren't useless but it is a huge uphill battle, particularly with such a mature product as MySQL.
  13. Except that most of those actually are not forks, e.g. Ubuntu is certainly not a fork from Debian.
  14. Details here: http://www.oracle.com/webapps/events/EventsDetail.jsp?p_eventId=108481&src=6806472&src=6806472&Act=22
  15. I am sure this strategy is going to rule the Java & the Oracle World. Both the best-of-the-breed technologies will kill other markets very easily.
  16. I don't think Oracle will try to kill Java. If you check major part of the Oracle Fusion Middleware is based on Java. There's no benefit to Oracle from disturbing that.