i have a basic HTML form that allows the user to query on an Oracle table. User chooses what column to search on and the value, these end up in the SQL "WHERE like % ORDER BY ". the results are shown in a that has no default sort. this works great. the problem: i allow the user to sort the columns of the as they wish. This, of course, works. However, when the user decides to re-search - the query runs, the is repopulated, yet it still "remembers" the last that was sorted on (i have an Up-Down (Asc-Desc) image), and the "page" it was last on. sql table: create table Employees { id long not null ,first_name varchar(2) ,last_name varchar(2) } 1) the user searches on "first_name" with a value of M ("select first_name, last_name from Employees where first_name like 'M%' order by first_name desc") 2) the user is shown results with values sorted on first_name (desc). (since doesn't know about the behind-the-scenes sorting, there is no Asc/Desc indicator on the first_name column..this is ok) 3) the user chooses to sort on last_name (clicking on the column header). sort works. the user is shown results with values sorted on last_name (desc/asc). sort indicator matches the sort on column last_name. 4) the user searches on "first_name" with a value of Ab ("select first_name, last_name from Employees where first_name like 'Ab%' order by first_name desc"). 5) the user is shown results with values sorted on first_name (desc). however, the sort indicator is still on last_name (either Asc or Desc). WRONG! i *think* that the 's request parameters are the culprit (as far as it knows, the user last sorted on last_name!) How can i make the "forget" the last values or possibly reset to an initial state?