Discussions

News: MuleSoft Cloudcat Tomcat image released

1. MuleSoft Cloudcat Tomcat image released (18 messages)

MuleSoft has announced Cloudcat, a pre-configured Apache Tomcat image with MySQL on Linux, available from Amazon Web Services (AWS) and GoGrid.
  2. Cloudcat Amazon Edition is a pre-configured Amazon Machine Image (AMI) that includes Tomcat 6.0.24 configured with MySQL on an Ubuntu operating system. This is available in both 32- and 64-bit versions. Cloudcat Amazon Edition allows you to create new instances of pre-configured Tomcat with just a few mouse clicks.
  3. Cloudcat GoGrid Edition is a pre-configured GoGrid System Image (GSI) that includes Tomcat configured with MySQL on a Redhat operating system. This is also available in both 32- and 64-bit versions. To learn more, visit http://www.mulesoft.com/cloudcat-apache-tomcat-cloud. Message was edited by: staff

Threaded Messages (18)

• Do I understand it correctly that MuleSoft is productizing a simple virtual instance that has TomCat and MySQL installed and is charging premium for it? Best GridGain - Cloud Computing Made Simple
  • I'm not sure if what they've done is as trivial as what you imply. Have you looked at what their instance contains and how it is configured? I'm not saying that you couldn't go out and do this yourself, but the question is - do you want to? I can't tell you how many apache and/or tomcat setups I've done over the years, but I can tell you that I just hate messing with that stuff nowadays. It is a waste of my time, and as they say, time is money. How many google hits/blog posts exist to teach you how to configure this stuff? They reflect an inefficiency in the market: that projects that have been out for over 10 years now still cause people pain. If it is possible to streamline this process so it reduces pain, then there is an opportunity to capitalize on the inefficiency. It depends on how much the premium is of course, but if they've trivialized the process and it works for you, it might be worth a look. If people are willing to pay for this, then more power to 'em - fill the market gap, make some money, and further benefit open source-backing companies. If one doesn't want to use it, they don't have to pay for it. It's the beauty of market economics :) Cheers, Les P.S. I have no affiliation with MuleSoft.
  • I've looked at the documentation on their website (b/c I actually interested as number of our clients do use Mule) and I can't find anything beyond naming AMI image a "CloudCat" and charging for it. So, anyone from Mule can explain what's exactly on this image and how it's configured (beyond the obvious Tomcat + MySQL that take ~15 minutes to do)? Thanks in advance! Nikita.
  • I've looked at the documentation on their website (b/c I actually interested as number of our clients do use Mule) and I can't find anything beyond naming AMI image a "CloudCat" and charging for it.

So, anyone from Mule can explain what's exactly on this image and how it's configured (beyond the obvious Tomcat + MySQL that take ~15 minutes to do)?

Thanks in advance!
    Nikita.
    Hi Nikita, Cloudcat is pre-configured Tomcat + MySQL on Linux, and these images are enabled ( includes necessary Tcat Server code) for managing through Tcat Server console. This gives users ability to manage their local instances and cloud instances from the same console. Cloudcat is available for both Amazon EC2 and GoGrid. Hope this helps. Best Regards, Sateesh
  • You guys are masters of confusion :) You should really replace Tomcat with Tcat in your marketing blurbs so that it won't come out like a cheap marketing trick. So, essentially, your image consists of Tcat (with centralized management configured) and MySql. Well, that makes some sense to me now... Another question: most of the times I would never use someone's image since I'll need to add my libs, properties, resources, configs, etc. Even our GridGain's images are often get changed even though we provide cloud-enabled class loading. How do I go about creating my custom image off the "CloudCat" image? In a sense - can I even do that and how does one pay for it? Thanks, Nikita.
  • You guys are masters of confusion :)

You should really replace Tomcat with Tcat in your marketing blurbs so that it won't come out like a cheap marketing trick. So, essentially, your image consists of Tcat (with centralized management configured) and MySql. Well, that makes some sense to me now...

Another question: most of the times I would never use someone's image since I'll need to add my libs, properties, resources, configs, etc. Even our GridGain's images are often get changed even though we provide cloud-enabled class loading. How do I go about creating my custom image off the "CloudCat" image? In a sense - can I even do that and how does one pay for it?

Thanks,
    Nikita.
    Nikita, Cloudcat includes vanilla Apache Tomcat + necessary code to be managed by Tcat Server Console. For clarification, Tcat Server works with vanilla Tomcat server and is not a fork of Tomcat. We do not modify or recompile Tomcat binaries for Tcat Server. Hope this clarifies. Best Regards, Sateesh
  • ...and about creation of my own derivative image?
  • ...and about creation of my own derivative image?
    Hi Nikita, I think we should talk, so, we can understand the use case in detail. Please drop me a note at sateesh dot narahari at Mulesoft. The cloud space is still emerging, I would love to discuss these use cases. Best Regards, Sateesh
  • Does this mean i can write an application and test it in Tomcat locally and buy a CloudCat instance, deploy it and make it available in www? i.e. something similar to Google App Engine, except that cloudcat is paid. Above all, the MuleSoft charges for the cloud instance, i.e. this TomCat + MySQL + Ubuntu + hardware + security + domain - all charges taken care? Or it charges only for the software support and rest all left to Amazon/GoGrid? Cheers Prabhu
  • Does this mean i can write an application and test it in Tomcat locally and buy a CloudCat instance, deploy it and make it available in www? i.e. something similar to Google App Engine, except that cloudcat is paid.

Above all, the MuleSoft charges for the cloud instance, i.e. this TomCat + MySQL + Ubuntu + hardware + security + domain - all charges taken care? Or it charges only for the software support and rest all left to Amazon/GoGrid?

Cheers
    Prabhu
    Hi Prabhu, Yes, you can deploy a locally developed application onto a Cloudcat instance. In the case of Amazon EC2, the pricing is hourly and includes the server instance costs as well. In the case of GoGrid, the pricing is monthly, and the Cloudcat price does not include server instance costs. Hope this helps. Best Regards, Sateesh
  • These images contain the latest ASF official release binaries of Tomcat 6.0.24, packaged using the native package code I wrote for Tomcat: The Definitive Guide, 2nd Edition. This package has been developed over several years, and has been used in production by several large enterprise companies during that time. It includes an init script that implements reliable stops and restarts, and also an environment configuration file with many popular and helpful configuration settings documented and ready to uncomment and use. We did indeed spend significant time developing it, getting it all together, installed, and working properly in the images. The other key point that I don't think has been clarified is that these paid images also include support from Mulesoft for the images. In the case with GoGrid, they take the first call and can escalate Tomcat issues to Mulesoft, and/or the customer can register with Mulesoft directly to get support for the Cloudcat image. In the case of Amazon, the user registers with Mulesoft on the form and now has direct support. Both options are included in the Cloudcat fee. We (Mulesoft) will continue to focus on Apache Tomcat usability, packaging, and support so it is easier to use for web developers and their IT operations counterparts for both enterprise and cloud based deployments. Tcat Server is our commercial product that goes even further down the path of application management and diagnostics for applications deployed on Tomcat at scale. It’s there if you want it, but we didn't make it required for any of the Tomcat-based improvements we put out there. If you find our community, cloud, or commercial offerings helpful, then great. If not, then you can certainly continue to roll your own as many have done for years. Stay tuned for more Tomcat improvements we are working on for the Debian and Ubuntu communities -- coming soon. Cheers. -- Jason Brittain Architect, Mulesoft Co-Author, Tomcat: The Definitive Guide
  • When is tomcat not really tomcat?[ Go to top ]

So since this is just Tomcat without any modifications, you will provide the software for free if someone chooses not to get paid support? I agree, that "You guys are masters of confusion :)". You keep posting that it is just tomcat, but then you charge for it. If it is really just tomcat, it should be free then you charge for support. If it is not really just tomcat, quit calling it tomcat. The title of this post says "Re: MuleSoft Cloudcat Tomcat image released". If so, post it for free.
  • In the current release of Cloudcat, we are focusing on self contained applications, and it supports configuration changes to the runtime at the Tomcat level. We see the following scenarios benefiting from Cloudcat: * Creating a proof-of-concepts to show your stakeholders that your application works well in the cloud * Creating new test/dev instances to scale up during the testing phase * Creating new production instances in the cloud to meet increasing demand during peak times Cloudcat is useful for developers and QA, and also for IT operations. Thanks. -- Jason
  • Jason, Sateesh, Not pounce on you guys but I still waiting for the trivial answer that I posted above. As I hope you understand very few people will be able to use your image directly... How many webapps do you know that won't require some library that you don't have on your image? Almost every one that I came across will require one. Do you include Spring into your image? How about various REST libs, etc, etc. So, given the state of your technology I need to create my own image off of your image to add my stuff to it. So... how do I do this?!? Can I do it and should I pay for it? Thanks, Nikita.
  • Hi Nikita, Thanks for clarifying the question. You can manage configuration of Cloudcat instances using Tcat Server. Configuration management allows you to upload files ( libs, conf files etc) to the instance, modify configuration files and also set environment variables( for ex: increase heapsize by changing JAVA_OPTS). This addresses the need to modify the instance to meet your specific application needs. Not only that, you can group together a set of files, environment variables into a profile. A profile can be applied to one or more instances, and Tcat Server console will enforce the configuration as defined in the profile to the instance. Using profiles will eliminate the need to repeatedly make configuration changes to different instances. So, the answer is No, you do not need to create your own image, you can either modify configuration per instance or create a profile and apply it to multiple instances. Jason blogged about configuration management here: http://blogs.mulesoft.org/saving-time-using-tcat-servers-centralized-configuration-management/ Hope this helps.
  • Thanks! That's clarified most of my questions. Nikita.
  • So, if I start paying for CloudCat, do I get Tcat Management Server included into the listed per-hour price on Amazon EC2 or do I need to buy Tcat Management separately? Best, GridGain - Cloud Computing Made Simple
  • So, if I start paying for CloudCat, do I get Tcat Management Server included into the listed per-hour price on Amazon EC2 or do I need to buy Tcat Management separately?

Best,
    GridGain - Cloud Computing Made Simple
    Hi Dmitriy, Tcat Server is free for use in development environment. Subscription is required for use in production. Pricing details are here: http://www.mulesoft.com/subscriptions-tcat-server-and-apache-tomcat You can manage your Cloudcat instances using Tcat Server console for no additional charge.