PHP and Perl Crashing the Enterprise

Discussions

News: PHP and Perl Crashing the Enterprise

1. PHP and Perl Crashing the Enterprise (7 messages)

PHP, Perl, and other scripting languages are making dramatic inroads in the enterprise, standing side-by-side with traditional technologies like .Net and Java. Is your enterprise willing and ready for adoption? Canonical's Chief Operating Officer and open source evangelist Matt Asay writes:
    While dynamic programming languages like PHP and Python dominate Web engineering, the signs that they are breaking Java and .Net's hold on the enterprise are less clear. Forrester recently reported that PHP claims the highest instance of open source use within enterprises, at 57 percent penetration. But it's also the case that the bulk of enterprise software spending goes to Java and .Net-based software. Who is winning? Perhaps both are.
    Matt goes on to provide an insightful analysis of how these technologies are being adopted in the modern enterprise, and what it means to all of us.

Threaded Messages (7)

2. Perl?[ Go to top ]

I'm sure there is another "analysis" indicating that Cobol is taking no prisoners and Fortran is making a huge came back in Enterprise software... :) Regards, Nikita.
  3. Caveat Emptor...[ Go to top ]

There is an important distinction to be made between purchases of packaged software and in-house (or outsourced) software development. While PHP no doubt is gaining ground in packaged applications, due to Web CMSes and the like, I see no evidence that the Enterprise as a whole is adopting PHP as a development language. As for Perl, it's still the exclusive domain of sysadmins in the Enterprise, where it's been for years.
  4. The enterprise suffers enough of low quality - no need to be "penetrated" by a goto language.
  5. Looks like the title in both the articles are wrong. It should have been "PHP and Python Crashing the Enterprise". Both the job trend and article suggests PHP and Python not Perl.
  6. Perhaps an unfortunate title, but when I saw it I thought, "An article on PHP and Perl apps crashing..." probably being too literal.
  7. Crashing the brain ?[ Go to top ]

This must be a bad joke, 1st of April still takes > 1 month.
  8. Says who - PHP developers ? a CEO of company who wants to sell his php - perl- python consulting services? Whatever...