Tech Brief: NoSQL for DBAs

Discussions

News: Tech Brief: NoSQL for DBAs

1. Tech Brief: NoSQL for DBAs (5 messages)

NoSQL describes several database technologies for which the data stores don't need a fixed schema and often avoid join operations. Brian Aker gives a lightning talk (7 minutes) about NoSQL during the Nov 2009 OpenSQLCamp in Portland, Oregon. Data operations and manipulation are often performed via map/reduce operations, which would most closely map to "group by" operations in a traditional RDBMS. In general, Brian talks about how NoSQL data operations are best implemented in computational networks by dividing the operations among multiple machines. Perhaps one of the hardest concepts to grasp by people with traditional database backgrounds is that NoSQL treats data in its natural order as optimal and applies transformations to it. This runs contrary to the RDBMS view of the world. The biggest take away from the presentation is that NoSQL databases are ideal for situations where system requirements define non-transactional data manipulation -- a quality of many web-based systems. The recording quality is not great in some portions, where comments from the audience mask the audio from the speaker. The notes and the slides for the presentation are available for review.

Threaded Messages (5)

2. That's 7 minutes of my life I'll never get back and a prime example why I rarely visit TSS anymore. All sarcasm aside while the talk was obviously aimed at DBAs it was clearly not objective. Combined that with poor video and audio quality, I have to ask why this was allowed to be posted on this site?
  3. priceless[ Go to top ]

Q: ok, it's not a database. How do I query it? A: You write a distributed MapReduce function in Erlang. Q: Did you just tell me to go **** myself? A: I believe I did, Bob. Priceless...
  4. That's 7 minutes of my life I'll never get back and a prime example why I rarely visit TSS anymore.

All sarcasm aside while the talk was obviously aimed at DBAs it was clearly not objective. Combined that with poor video and audio quality, I have to ask why this was allowed to be posted on this site?
    I think this is unfair. The presentation made no attempt to appear to be unbiased. It's when something is not clearly not objective there is a problem. Personally I found that the presenter connected pretty well on a number of points. I laughed a number of times. This is a pretty good gauge of how big of a geek I am. As far as production quality goes, I totally agree. It sucked big-time on that front.
  5. Re: Tech Brief: NoSQL for DBAs[ Go to top ]

I think this is unfair. The presentation made no attempt to appear to be unbiased. It's when something is not clearly not objective there is a problem.

Personally I found that the presenter connected pretty well on a number of points. I laughed a number of times. This is a pretty good gauge of how big of a geek I am.

As far as production quality goes, I totally agree. It sucked big-time on that front.
    If this was advertised as a comedy stunt, then maybe. The presenter did nothing more but present his ignorance towards distributed key/value stores. Even when something is biased, you have to present the facts, he didn't. There are numerous distributed key/value stores, each have their own set of features. If he was talking about a particular one I'm not familiar with, maybe, but he definitely didn't strike me as someone who not only used one, he didn't even strike me as someone who spent more than 5 minutes reading about them.
  6. Dell computers[ Go to top ]

I see that you have stated the main ideas of the tips we both know. To some extent, I agree with you both.