At our work we are setting up a system with SSL and it will act as a web server.
It is using Apache with ajp connector to connect into Tomcat. The problem occurs when a java applet which uses RMI tunneling is launched.
The user follows these steps to reproduce the issue.
1. using IE7 user logs in and enters standard username and password when the prompt appears
2. navigation works correctly as long as no java applet is launched
3. clicks on a link where java applet is launched and the user gets prompted again to enter standard username and password
4. once the username and password has been entered the session runs smoothly with no more prompts for these credentials
5. close IE7 and open up again, go through the same steps and it happens again
The initial login prompt is an IE one. The second looks like a java one, it is titled "Authentication Required" when using Java 1.6_15. If you are using Java 1.4_2 or 1.5_15 the dialogue is titled "Password Needed - Networking".
This issue happens with IE6, 7 and 8 using either Java 1.4, 1.5 or 1.6. It does not happen when using Firefox. We haven't tested any more browsers.
Please also note that this issue does not occur if the web server has SSL turned off.
Thanks in advance