Embarcadero's Tony de la Lama on JCP

Discussions

News: Embarcadero's Tony de la Lama on JCP

1. Embarcadero's Tony de la Lama on JCP (4 messages)

Now that the Sun purchase by Oracle is a done deal, look for some jockeying among vendors in the Java world. Different players have fairly high-ticket licenses related to Java.

Take for example: Tony de la Lama, SVP of research and development at Embarcadero Technologies, said it is a good time now for the Java Community Process (JCP) to lay everything on the table and evaluate what has worked and what has not.

Oracle, by and large, is a very pragmatic company said de la Lama. His impression is that Java is still too hard to use and needs better supporting tooling while remaining open. From conversations he has had with Oracle, he said, the company seems to understand this.

http://www.theserverside.com/news/2240016946/Good-time-for-JCP-to-recalibrate

Threaded Messages (4)

2. I chose Java back in 1996 and I'm still amazed at how well the platform meets my needs. I normally had a difficult time accepting Sun executive proclamations and decisions on investments and changes in the Java platform. I only had the visibility at my level as an independent software vendor, not at the entire platform level.

At least when the Sun executives were there I could connect-in to their thinking on sites like TSS, at JavaOne, Devoxx, etc. Now I'm wondering where Java will go, who will take it there, and how I can depend on the platform.

-Frank

3. Nothing is freebie...[ Go to top ]

Nothing is freebie; as long there is some way to make money or value to the company (control on the technology) everything will go fine; even in case of best open source components. As long as Oracle can make money out of it (enterprise support/licensing), i believe they will continue to support it and invest in it. Any company for that reason..So whats the big deal who owns it...Every investor wants to see good return for money, short or long term...Forget how owns think what you can contribute to the community. 
  4. That disconnected feeling[ Go to top ]

It does not matter to me who owns Java. I'm looking for a connection to the Java leaders. I had that and now that it is gone I have a disconnected feeling.

It wasn't easy picking Java early on. I opened myself to a lot of criticism. Remember the "Java will never perform on a global scale" criticisms?

Now I'm wondering:

a) Is Java only for server-side development? Sure looks like that from the advances of Appcelerator Titanium on desktop and mobile (iPhone, Android, and Palm)

b) What will become of NetBeans?

c) There are open and dangling issues that Sun never fixed: generics, closures, etc. Will these remain open?

-Frank

5. That disconnected feeling[ Go to top ]

This JCP initiative reminds me of open sourcing Java days, when news were filled with reasons why we need to open source java or the world will come to an end. And what happened afterwards? It got open sourced, and max 5 people did checkout. Like it never happened.

Ahh the sheep, I mean people, these days.