Domain Driven Design vs. XP and Data Driven Design. There is a difference.

Discussions

News: Domain Driven Design vs. XP and Data Driven Design. There is a difference.

1. I hesitantly checked out this presentation on Domain Driven Design, because it had been suggested and recommended by a number of people here on TheServerSide.com, including Andrea Mattioli. Perhaps I enjoyed it because Jimmy Nilsson's Swedish accent just took me back to the days when the Toronto Maple Leafs were captained by Mats Sundin, the best captain in Toronto Maple Leafs history; but no, I think it's just the fact that I always enjoy hearing a different perspective on application development and design.

There are so many design and development strategies out there, but still, so many developers struggle with design. I know that when you start fielding questions on Part II of the SCEA exam, the design part, the common question is 'where on earth do I start?' Perhaps a good place to start is learning a bit about Domain Driven Design?

Here, Jimmy Nilsson not only discusses the differences between Data Driven Design and Domain Driven Design, but also the value the Domain Driven Design provides to the business and stakeholders.

"It should be easy to build good software."

Domain Driven Design is more than just putting together building blocks, and Jimmy Nilsson explains in simple terms how to do it right.

And when you've join the converted, and jump into Domain Driven Design, you can check out JavATE, the Java Application Tiered Engine, "a set of Java libraries that enables application development using the domain driven methodology."

(Oh, and JavATE 0.5.1 has some new features.)

2. And when you've join the converted, and jump into Domain Driven Design, you can check out JavATE, the Java Application Tiered Engine, "a set of Java libraries that enables application development using the domain driven methodology."

Is there a link?

3. Good point, Giacomo. The 'new features link' went to the site, but it looks like a link to the home page got stripped out. Here it is:

http://www.javate.amattioli.it/mainsite/description.html

I wonder if they have any trademark issues. I know Sun doesn't like anyone using the full word 'Java' in their products, thus the preponderance of tools like JUnit and log4j. I know the 'A' in their name is capitalized; I wonder if that's enough to keep the legal and marketing teams at the IT giant at bay?
  4. Link to JavATE Main Page[ Go to top ]

I wonder if they have any trademark issues. I know Sun doesn't like anyone using the full word 'Java' in their products, thus the preponderance of tools like JUnit and log4j. I know the 'A' in their name is capitalized; I wonder if that's enough to keep the legal and marketing teams at the IT giant at bay?
    I hope to have no issues! There are a lot of projects around with the Java word in their name. Even famous ones like Javassist and JavaCC.
    Probably JavATE is not the best name I could invent, but Jate is even worse

5. I always wondered how javaranch, a site that is dear to my heart, managed to skirt the name issue. They've been pretty lucky as well. They did change their name to coderanch, to represent the fact that they speak of more than just Java nowadays, but still. 

By the way, I kinda like Jate. :(
  6. Domain Driven Design[ Go to top ]

Read a book from Eric Evans called Domain driven design.
    you will be set for your life as a arhcitect for any language.
    One of the best books on domain design ...

7. The book is highly rated on amazon: