Discussions

News: Two Weeks After Easter, and SpringSource Still Has a Rabbit in the House

1. I guess it just makes sense that a company that has circled its wagons around a technology named Spring would want a permanent reference to Easter floating around. The latest feather in the cap of VMWare is RabbitMQ, a messaging technology that will take SpringSource one step closer to becoming the defacto standard in the cloud. 

"By adding RabbitMQ to our suite, SpringSource can extend its emerging application platform with another element of technology that is critical to modern virtual and cloud deployment models." Says Rod Johnson, the general managed of the SpringSource division of VMWare.

Read the full press release at springsource.com

"SpringSource, a division of VMware, Inc. (NYSE: VMW) and the leader in Java application infrastructure and management, today announced the acquisition by VMware of Rabbit Technologies, Ltd., an open source software company based in the United Kingdom. SpringSource will add the RabbitMQ open messaging system into its suite of technologies that reduce the complexity associated with development, deployment and management of enterprise applications. Terms of the deal were not disclosed."

----------
  2. Now we just have to hope the rabbit don't die.

(And yes, folks, look up the quote and the reference if you don't get it. Sheesh.)

Captcha: "on rayban"! Woo!
  3. Was it an Elvis reference?[ Go to top ]

Well, Aerosmith's Sweet Emotion has they lyric "You can't catch me cuz the rabbit didnt' die." Clearly a reference to the way pregnancy tests were performed years ago. I'm not sure what they injected into those poor lagomorphs, but if the rabbit died, your girlfriend was pregnant.

Are we worried about future alimony payments between VMWare and RabbitMQ?
  4. Speaking with business hat on, I fail to see any serious business doing any kind of important/mission critical work with non-mainstream/proprietary language. Simply risks of things going wrong and potential costs of fixing those are too huge. Sure, doing 'integration with twitter via cloud' types of apps is ok, but running mission critical messaging is a no-no.

Disclaimer: Speaking with tech hat on, I think RabbitMq is excellent product.
  5. ***[ Go to top ]

*** I fail to see any serious business doing any kind of important/mission critical work with non-mainstream/proprietary language

Which of the problems here are you seeing as the dangerous language or technology? Are you talking about the AMQP standard, or the cloud in general?

-- I was wondering where my main troll was hiding lately. --
  6. ***[ Go to top ]

I'm talking about Erlang. AMQP is great, and hopefully 1.0 is released soon so it becomes perfect as well.

Erlang does not have large user base as C++/Java, nor it has big company backing it up. Why would I choose Erlang over let's say Red Hat Messaging? Doing so is definitely less risky.

Regarding the cloud, I wont hijack the thread discussing what has been discussed many times before: cloud is niche market for very specific business needs and amount of intention it receives in press and blogs is not proportional to its real life applicability.
  7. ***[ Go to top ]

Also, if someone claims better performance of RabbotMQ than let's say QPid, his assumption is wrong. If you are using AMQP, you are more concerned by interoperability and integration, performance being not so important.

For bleeding edge performance everyone is implement their own protocols anyway because AMQP (and for that matter any standard protocol) add overhead.
  8. I have a feeling we might be seeing an article or two discussing who the top performer is in this particular space. Just a hunch.

Seems like the top players are gunning for the cloud though. Niche? Maybe, but it's getting alot of attention. Clearly, someone thinks there's money to be made there.
  9. "Clearly, someone thinks there's money to be made there."

Of course. There is neverending pool of suckers out there who due to inexperience, deadlines, lack of time to investigate, or plain ignorance can not differentiate between real thing and marketing campaign.
  10. Cloud reminds me to those NoSQL guys, whom I respect, but their bitching how SQL (one of the best IT creation of all time) is holding them down somehow, or whatever arguments they present is just silly. It's again niche market solution (Google, Yahoo, Facebook), and it is again detached from 99% remaning global market needs who use and need traditional relational databases.