Discussions

News: Web Framework Shootout from ETE 2010

1. Web Framework Shootout from ETE 2010 (2 messages)

Check out some of the highlights from the 2010 Philly Emerging Technologies for the Enterprise conference on the Chariot TechCast.  

This year, Robert Hanson ran a re-match of the 2008 Web Framework shootout, with the following names on the panel: Chris Richardson of Cloud Foundry/SpringSource/VMware, Dan Allen and Lincoln Baxter III of JBoss, Alex Payne of Twitter, David Black of Cyrus, Scott Davis of Thirsty Head, Yehuda Katz of Engine Yard, Jeremey Grelle of SpringSource/VMware and Ed Burns of Oracle.

Represented, then, are a number of frameworks:  Java EE, Spring/MVC, Grails, Seam, Rails (and reflections on the Merb + Rails merger by Yehuda), they talk about jQuery and JavaScript, component-driven HTML/JS generation -vs- writing native JS, etc...  And the line uttered by David Black at the end of the show is worth holding on for!

The entire shootout is available as an MP3  here.  

Slides from the conference can be downloaded from the Chariot Solutions presentation download page.
  2. ETE was lots of fun this year.  Thanks Chariot. Cloud is really opening the door for new languages, databases, *aas, and deployment automation.  Feels like early stages of Java over 11 years ago.  Yeah, and rolling out LISP again! Cote's talk was helpful.  Bob Martin's talk was just a little ShamWow.

As for the shootout, I wish Matt Raible was there to provide some context. Hard to get a direction with the various framework mongers.  Themes seem to be on defacto frameworks versus committee frameworks (not a technical problem, more marketing), abstractions away from HTTP/HTML are bad (JSF), abstractions away from Javascript are good (jQuery), getting it done right vs. getting it done now, server good, and client bad.

Which framework is right - all depends on requirements, people, and silver bullets. 

TIOBE index was brought up to compare critical mass of frameworks/languages.  I'm sure Raible would have countered with Dice job counts as a better indicator.

My surprise was the non-embrace of the client side (GWT/Flex/jQuery/Javascript) in favor of CGI-esque solutions.  I've seen Paris and not staying on the farm anymore so I don't get the need to fear the client. C'mon Java guys!

I liked what the Twitter guy had to say the most. He gave a talk a Scala and in the shootout it was more about picking smart people than picking frameworks.  

3. Hated the part about the hostile abstraction.

"You're in the wrong business if you're building web apps but hate or want to avoid HTML, bla bla bla"

Djezus... what's wrong with programming in something higher level? Is programming some algorithm in Java also a hostile abstraction layer for assembly language? Are we in the wrong business since we write code that runs on CPUs, but we now all collectively hate those pesky little machine instruction and write in something that's a little more higher level?

This guy is a nut... seriously!