Discussions

News: A Sticky 50% Middleware Share Makes IBM the "Caulk of the Walk"

1. How important is middleware to IBM? Well, 41% of their stock price depends on it, and fortunately for IBM, their customers aren't moving away.

"IBM leads the middleware market with nearly 50% share. The company’s large middleware client base and the 'sticky' nature of many middleware clients makes it harder for Oracle and Red Hat to win share quickly."

Of course, I don't know if that's a glowing endorsement. The description of IBM's middleware as 'sticky' also implies that their clients are 'stuck' and can't move to something else, even if moving to WebLogic or JBoss was in fact what they wanted to do. 

Of course, you don't get to a 50% marketshare without having a product that works, no matter how 'sticky' your client base might be, so IBM's doing something right with their WebSphere software. And indeed, Oracle seems to be having a tough time bundling their middleware software with their incredibly dominant database. 

The thrust of this news article is how IBM's stock price reflects their prescence in the middleware market, and of course, that the stock will go up as their dominance in that field increases. If the numbers are correct, I'd have to say that it'd be pretty darned hard to push past a 50% share in this market. If I was advising investors, I'd suggest that 50% was a ceiling, and not a floor.
    ------
    What is WebSphere? By Cameron McKenzie

Threaded Messages (3)

2. While it is hard to imagine a measurement by which IBM has 50% of the Java middleware market, there is no doubt that having competition around industry standards in the Java middleware market has been one of the key factors in making Java such a successful enterprise platform, and the benefits go to the companies who have adopted Java.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy | Oracle Coherence
    http://coherence.oracle.com/
  3. New Math?[ Go to top ]

That 50% number does sound high to me. 50% of paying customers? Long term licenses? Installation base? Half the market is IBM? That's hard to swallow.
    Peace.
  4. New Math?[ Go to top ]

That 50% number does sound high to me. 50% of paying customers? Long term licenses? Installation base? Half the market is IBM? That's hard to swallow.
    Peace.

it's especially hard to swallow caulking. that stuff (websphere) could cause constipation. sorry, couldn't resist making a joke.

peter