Discussions

News: Martin Fowler's Next Gem. Your Last Chance for a Free First Look

1. You've probably read Martin Fowler's UML Distilled. That's the standard when it comes to learning UML. It's the most boring book you'll ever read, but it covers all the basics, and even the advanced stuff as well. And don't start getting on me for calling the book boring. I mean, even the title describes the book as being 'distilled.' Besides, that’s not a negative criticism; the book is perfect for the fact that it delivers on its promise of being an effective technical reference without any superfluous or needless comments or commentaries.

Martin Fowler's Refactoring on the other hand is a great and entertaining read. The examples are short, the book is filled with opinions and options, and it can really open a person's eyes to the various refactoring opportunities that exist in their code. Refactoring is definitely a required read for every junior developer; and senior developers can gain from its wisdom as well.

Well, Martin's got a new book in the works named Domain Specific Languages (DSL).

"DSLs are popular for several reasons, but I highlight the two main ones as improving productivity for developers and improving communication with domain experts. A well-chosen DSL can make it easier to understand a complicated block of code, thus improving the productivity of those working with it. It's more difficult to include domain experts in working with a DSL, but resulting gain is much broader because it helps unclog one of the biggest bottlenecks in software development - the communication between programmers and their customers."

The content is currently online as Martin works with his editor and publisher. But I'm guessing the text won't be up for much longer, as publishers tend to frown upon free online distribution of a book's content. So, if you want to grab a quick peek at Martin's next technical work, head over and check it out now.

Domain Specific Languages by Martin Fowler

UML Distilled by Martin Fowler
    Refactoring by Martin Fowler

2. i didnt see the "refactoring" book available for first look.
    So is there a a new book called "refactoring" or new edition of an existing "refactoring" book ?

let us know
  3. Domain Specific Languages[ Go to top ]

The headline is intended to as the question 'will this book be as good as refactoring?' So, will this be the equivalent in popularity to "Refactoring." 

The devil in having only so many letters to put in the headline. :(

-Cameron McKenzie, Editor
  4. Domain Specific Languages[ Go to top ]

The headline is intended to as the question 'will this book be as good as refactoring?' So, will this be the equivalent in popularity to "Refactoring." 

The devil in having only so many letters to put in the headline. :(

-Cameron McKenzie, Editor

Why cant you say - "New 'Refactoring' Book from Martin Fowler". Clear simple and fits within character limit :) 

5. I updated the title of the article to something a little less confusing. I hope that makes things a bit more clear.