Discussions

News: HP Thinks Having a Palm in their Pocket Could Come in Handy

1. In perhaps the most cunning move since Time Warner merged with AOL, Hewlett-Packard Co has bought Palm for 1.2 Billion USD.

In a move that will send shivers down the spines of all players in the mobile phone market, with the exception of course of Apple and Canada's Reaearch In Motion (RIM), HP is now uniquely and strategically positioned to take on all of the other mobile phone makers who can't compete against the iPhone or the BlackBerry.

Of course, it's not all about mobile phones. It's also about the OS: Palm's webOS. After all, with only minor market players like Google, Microsoft and Apple developing mobile operating systems, the market is clearly in need of another strong competitor.

And we shouldn't fail to mention all of those software patents that Palm has acquired in their years of micro-device development. Clearly, HP thinks those Palm patents could be 'handy.'

HP Buys Palm for 1.2 Billion USD  
    HP Paid Too Much for Palm

Palm Pre Marketshare

Threaded Messages (9)

2. interesting[ Go to top ]

The source is CBC?  Explains all the Hockey refences. (Go Wings!)

3. Socialized Broadcasting[ Go to top ]

I was wondering if anyone was going to notice that CBC source. It's my tax dollars at work right there, so I may as well reference them. Oh, and sadly, I was rooting for Washington. :(

4. Socialized Broadcasting[ Go to top ]

I was wondering if anyone was going to notice that CBC source. It's my tax dollars at work right there, so I may as well reference them. Oh, and sadly, I was rooting for Washington. :(

Hey kudos to the Habs ;-) No actually being a former Nordiques fan, I'll never be able to cheer for them. GO Canucks GO! (Until we get our team back :-))

5. It's a fire sale.

They probably bought the company not for their oh-so-yesterday's technology, but more for their experienced staff, so that HP could re-train palm's staff to code in Android.

6. A 1.2 billion dollar fire sale? Thing is, you spend 1.2 billion dollars a bunch of times, and eventually you start talking about some real money.

For 1.2 Billion, do you think they could just build a brand new system from scratch? Of course, why spend 1.2 Billion building an operating system that has no future market viability when you can just buy one for 1.2 billion that has no future market viability?

Will HP also acquire the marketing team that tried to make the Palm Pre 'hip and trendy' by pitching it to soccer Moms and the mini-van crowd?

Okay, it's probably time to stop nit-picking this acquisition. There probably is a very good case to be made that the various software patents owned by Palm are worth the 1.2 billion dollars in themselves.

7. I'm kind of scratching my head too, but in general HP current management team has made reasonable financial decisions.  I would like to give them the benefit of doubt, but I don't see it. 

wow my captcha was:  headquarters punished

Maybe the captcha system is telling me that my statement is wrong.

8. going after the iPad?[ Go to top ]

I think we're missing the boat some and looking at phones as HP's mobile focus. HP has not ever been in the handset/mobile hardware market and buying a dying company (though still a strong brand name) only to watch it fall further is a poor move. They're smarter than that.

Interestingly, in an MSNBC story, the focus of HP execs was on WebOS almost exclusively, followed by an immediate announcement that they will retain the ex-Apple, iPhone guru-CEO of Palm. Their carefully-crafted statement about the goal of the acquisition was that it  "will help [HP] participate more aggressively in the fast-growing market for Internet-connected mobile devices." No mention of phones, handsets, models, anything. Just "mobile" and "internet connected."

When we look at HP's historic strengths, we see a huge success in the server/hardware space, a domination of the netbook market and successful support in the software realm for mobile computing. Their distro channel is huge and they're in every major and minor electronics store across the USA. They also announced a few months ago that they were getting into the pad/slate/tablet market at an undisclosed time.

All of that together, to me at least signals two things:

1. They want WebOS and the Palm name. Not the Palm phones. Could they build their own system for $1billion? Sure. But it would take too long. This bridges a competitive gap in weeks, not months or years.

2. They're going after Apple and maybe Google with this announcement. Or at least will. Imagine back-to-school or Christmas shopping for a new Palm/HP slate computer running WebOS (which is quite nice, even though it didn't help Palm sales much) at 50% of the cost of an iPad. HP has been showcasing its touch-event technology a lot recently, so a slate/pad would make sense.

By acquiring WebOS and strengthening their mobile tech patent portfolio, along with their push into touch computing and finally with their distro channel, I'm wondering if they're trying to permeate the tablet market the way they did netbooks.

Just food for thought.

9. Its all about WebOS[ Go to top ]

It is way too early to tell if this is a good move or not. Financially its a steal. Technology wise, it could be a great move if they execute correctly. There is a lot of potential in this deal. Out of all the platforms out there WebOS is the most evolved in terms of getting to the world of HTML5. Its core development is based on HTML, CSS, and Javascript. Other platforms do not have any App development based on those technologies.

In a highly fragmented mobile world, corporate developers are basically waiting around for a silver bullet. Can't really blame them. A Mobile Developer's Dilemma. Details here: http://openmobster.blogspot.com/2010/04/killer-mobile-app-will-not-be-browser.html

On the flip side, browser based apps just don't cut it in mobile. Browser experience even on iPhone+Safari is very clumsy. Plus when you are mobile, browsing is not your main objective. User expects mashed up information pushed down and ready for use. Details here: http://openmobster.blogspot.com/2010/04/killer-mobile-app-will-not-be-browser.html

WebOS natively provides the best of both worlds (Native experience + Development with web technologies). HTML5 is a few years away. I am sure other platforms won't sit around. But WebOS can start going in that direction today, and grab a huge chunk of developer mindshare...well July after the distractions ;)

HP can really make this successful by focusing on its bread and butter corporate crowd instead of the app store developer churning out Fart Apps ;)

My two cents.....

OpenMobster - Open Source Mobile Cloud Platform

http://openmobster.googlecode.com

10. oops wrong link[ Go to top ]

Mobile Developer's Dilemma: http://openmobster.googlecode.com/svn/wiki/content/app-developer-guide/html/programmerdilemma.html

OpenMobster - Open Source Mobile Cloud Platform

http://openmobster.googlecode.com