Spring's Rod Johnson says "May VM Force Be With You"

Discussions

News: Spring's Rod Johnson says "May VM Force Be With You"

1. In his latest blog, Rod Johnson, the heart and soul behind the Spring framework, discusses his company's latest acquisition (correction: partnership): a cloud computing firm named SalesForce.

VMforce Provides Spring Cloud Platform

Edited by: Cameron McKenzie on Apr 28, 2010 12:44 PM

Threaded Messages (8)

2. Wait, what?[ Go to top ]

SpringSource/VMWare didn't acquire SalesForce - it's a joint offering. Salesforce is a S&P top 500 firm; not sure how "big" VMWare is financially, but it's hard to imagine them being as big as Salesforce even though they have penetration in 100% of the fortune 100.

The deal here is that VMWare and SpringSource are partnering with Salesforce to provide integration and scalability for Spring apps that are used by SalesForce customers, at first glance. That's definitely useful, I suppose, although I'm interested more in how that happens and seeing actual usecases.

Captcha: "paid founder." Floyd, this one should have been yours...

3. Good Point...[ Go to top ]

Thanks Joe for the clarification. I put a little 'correction' in the blurb. 

4. Wait, what?[ Go to top ]

(

Joe, for the record, VMW's market cap is 2.5 bigger than Salesforce.com's :)

i.e. 25B vs. 10B for sf.com.

Oh, and at the end of 2007, VMW was worth... 50B!

)

5. Wait, what?[ Go to top ]

(

Joe, for the record, VMW's market cap is 2.5 bigger than Salesforce.com's :)

i.e. 25B vs. 10B for sf.com.

Oh, and at the end of 2007, VMW was worth... 50B!

)

Nice, had no idea! Thanks, Sacha. (The sites I looked at for reference - quickly - had no mention of market cap for VMWare.)

Captcha: "new quagmire." So awesome!

6. Wait, what?[ Go to top ]

Yes, VMW is quite a beast in market cap, despite being much less known than the very visible SF.com, this probably has to do both with the market they are operating in as well as the CEO's style.

BTW, I blogged about the SpringForce, VMForce announcement: http://sacha.labourey.com/2010/04/29/the-springforcevmforce-announcement/

7. Salesforce is still a small one ..

8. Interesting[ Go to top ]

I does seem like a useful option to have a Tomcat instance in a cloud environment, the facilitated access to the data stored in sales force is pretty cool too. For applications built on Spring (in our case, jBilling), that can run on just Tomcat rather than a full Java EE app server, it is a welcome development. I can imagine an integrated jBilling - salesforce app running in this cloud environment. After all, integrating CRM and billing is a pretty common requirement. Still, sometime it is hard to get the gist of these announcements. For example: "VMforce uses the Force.com physical infrastructure to run vSphere with a special customized vCloud layer that allows for seamless scaling and management" does not tell me a lot :) Cheers, E. Conde jBilling - Open Source Billing
  9. Interesting[ Go to top ]

I doubt if you will able to port the application as is.

• VMForce will run on Force.com db - a multi-tenant and not an SQL (does that qualify to be NoSQL?) database. So i would assume you have to write 2 versions of it (atleast the persistence layer).
    • I also think that you might have to built applications with certain constraints e.g: stateless session bean "only" to seamlessly scale across VMs.

thanks,

mani