Discussions

News: A First Look at IBM's WebSphere Portal Server 7

1. In this first installment of a multi-part series for TheServerSide.com, Sal Pece takes a quick look at IBM's WebSphere Portal Server 7 Beta offering.

This report covers where to download the WebSphere trial software, Portal installation, a few quick performance tips, and a quick look at what WebSphere Portal Server 7 has to offer.

Evaluating IBM WebSphere Portal 7: A Journey into the Unknown 

This is the first in a multi-part series on WebSphere Portal 7.

Threaded Messages (8)

2. "Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to locate actual documentation related to the Beta product..."

just googling ;-)

http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/portalwiki.nsf/dx/Portal.Next_Beta_Readme.htm

https://infocenters.lotus.com/portal/topic/com.ibm.wp.beta.doc/overview/intr_new.html

3. Thanks for the update[ Go to top ]

At the time of writing, the beta material I found was still referencing the older 6.1.5 Beta.  Thanks for hte update, I'll be sure to reference it as I work on new articles.

4. Maybe We're TOO Early![ Go to top ]

We're blazing new trails here, exploring the beta product. IBM has never had the greatest reputation when it comes to documenting their product, but I might cut them some slack here, just because it's still in beta. They probably don't want to keep releasing docs and then having to update them. You know, IBM probable doesn't have any good content management systems to facilitate such things. :P I'll dig around for some, but again, docs may be a bit thin until a WPS 7 GA release happens. And when will WebSphere Portal 7 be fully released? Who knows?

5. Maybe We're TOO Early![ Go to top ]

"IBM has never had the greatest reputation when it comes to documenting their product..."

Strange to me read this because from IBM you have online helps (aka infocenters), tutorials (aka educational-assistant), webcasts, wikis, forums, one of the best site for developers and last but not least Redbooks (maybe I'm wrong but every other vendor "sells" books; IBM gives them for free).

6. Maybe We're TOO Early![ Go to top ]

When I started learning the IBM stack almost a decade ago, there wasn't much on the market.  When Redbooks were released, I learned everything I needed to know, but that was 6 months to a year after the product was already released and there was a new version on the market.

The Infocenters have been more up to date, but they're limited in their descriptions and use cases.  In my recent in-the-trenches battle to learn Lotus Connections 2.5, I found the InfoCenters lacked the necessary details.

My goal in this series of articles is to familiarize new comers with the technology and provide work arounds and warning as I encounter them for anyone who's interested in pursuing WebSphere Portal 7. 

7. You're Drunk[ Go to top ]

You're drunk if you see redbooks 6 months after a product release. It's more like 6 months after a newer version of the product has been released. In fairness, even fast moving technologies take about a year to get a book on the market to discuss their technology. Spring 3.0 came out in December, but we won't see the reference manual, Spring in Action, out until July or August.

I think we can really thank IBM for the Redbook promise. Still, the process is to throw 6 to 8 professionals in a room for a month and spit out a book. The books tend to read like that, with little flow, segmented, and sometimes contradictory.

And the product documentation isn't always acurate. Of course, the final product is never bug free, so why would you expect the documentation to be bug free as well.

Of course, if it wasn't for the lack of good documentation, I'd never have been able to get away with selling a small, $75 paperback book, entitled "What is WebSphere?"  

8. When will WP 7 be in GA?[ Go to top ]

I too would like to know the answer to this. No one seems to know.

9. I heard 3Q2010[ Go to top ]

I heard 3Q2010