Mobicents Sip Servlets 1.3 Released (JSR 289: SIP Servlet v1.1)

Discussions

News: Mobicents Sip Servlets 1.3 Released (JSR 289: SIP Servlet v1.1)

1. "The SIP Servlet Specification (JSR116) is a container based approach (modelled on the HTTP servlet paradigm) to developing communication applications utilizing the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) protocol. SIP is used to establish and manage multimedia IP sessions. This JSR requests the evolution of the SIP Servlet specification to address capabilities discovered by the industry as a result of using the specification."

Mobicents has just released Mobicents Sip Servlets 1.3 version , certified against the Sip Servlets 1.1 specification and working on top of Tomcat 6.0.20 and JBoss AS 5.1.0.GA .

More details:

http://mobicents-sip-servlets.blogspot.com/2010/05/mobicents-sip-servlets-13-released.html

2. Sorry, I know you are :) I'm just trying to provoke a reaction, but, having worked intensively with SIP and VoIP last year (using yate sip server) and following VoIP since long I've noticed that almost nobody is talking about comparison and/or interoperability between native (C/C++) VoIP/PBX/IVR solutions and jain slee and sip servlet implementations.

I think it's a pity because both approaches have their advantages (i.e low memory and cpu consumption for yate and freeswitch, strong enterprise integration for mobicents). Any thought on this?

PS: capcha is "croaked coexist", appropriate, isn't it? :)

3. What kind of interoperability do you have in mind ?

Mobicents community has reported to have used successfully Mobicents SIP Servlets with Asterisk by example and we have tested with a number of VoIP online providers for demos etc 

Jean

4. What kind of interoperability do you have in mind ?

Good examples of what I mean for interoperability are:

• SIPfoundry sipXecs, an open source project which uses freeswitch for conferencing
    • openSIPS which can be used to load balance sip requests or manage registration for different servers (freeswitch, asterisk or whatever)
    • OpenMGCP, implementing an interoperable protocol to integrate different TTS or speech recognition engines

I'm sure that the sip servlet implementation is quite interesting for voice enabled applications but maybe integrating an existing (native?) media server instead of building a brand new one could guarantee better performance and scalability. Java is enterprise ready - should we forget C and C++ implementations because of this?

Also, asterisk is not really the latest trend in open source voip. I think freeswitch is the most interesting one (for performance, stability, innovation, ease of use, portability). 

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
        Raffaele

5. The whole point of Mobicents Media Server is flexibility. The mobicents media server follows the Component model which empowers users to define its own custom media path and hence come up with new endpoint. You will get more details in doco http://www.mobicents.org/mms/user_guides/media_server/2.0.0.BETA2/html_single/index.html

I have tried few media servers available (including the asterisk built in) and IMO nothing gives you flexibility via configuration. One has to touch the internals (code) to get what you want.

I haven't tried OpenMGCP but I am sure if its following RFC 3435, then it can definitely be used to control the mobicents media server.

As Jean mentioned we have tried many applications built on mobicents JAIN SLEE and mobicents SIP Servlets, media taken care by mobicents media server integrating with opensource switches as well as commercial ones like Cisco and it was very smooth experience.