Discussions

News: Google Adds Flash to Android Phones

1. Google Adds Flash to Android Phones (10 messages)

Google is adding Flash, the popular software used for video and multimedia on the web, and a host of other new features to its Android smartphone operating system.

"It's much nicer to work with Adobe than just saying 'no'," said Vic Gundotra, Google's vice-president of engineering.

Google Adds Flash to Android Phones

Threaded Messages (10)

2. Its nice to see flash on android. (however I am not sure what security issues -  this guys will bring to android).. However I will finally be be able to see some of the websites using flash on my phone.

If android takes of - then you guys will have to rename your website to "theclientside.com".(the serverside seems to be stagnated - though they are good efforts from Seam/Hibernate guys).. Just time back some one had said that Java is no longer cool ? (with android - its cool again)

Regards,

Zahid

http://android-java.blogspot.com

3. Uhhh sure[ Go to top ]

With the most recent firefox, I've noticed flash causes crashes 1 crash a day. quite honestly, until adobe overhauls flash and makes it secure, fast and not a memory hog, flash on smart phones is a horrible idea. Like i want my phone to crash. If Adobe had fixed the problems already, this whole debate wouldn't exist.

All this political jocking is just flat out silly.

my bias 2 cents.

4. Uhhh sure[ Go to top ]

With the most recent firefox, I've noticed flash causes crashes 1 crash a day. quite honestly, until adobe overhauls flash and makes it secure, fast and not a memory hog, flash on smart phones is a horrible idea.

In my previous life, I wrote an SWF decoder. Well, let me say that I now have a HUGE respect for Adobe. Flash has the best model for vector graphics I've seen so far (it uses a list of linked regions and not just a list triangles), and its renderer is pretty good.

There's no way you can make something with all the capabilities of Flash (smooth animation, antialiasing, compositing, good font rendering) much faster than Adobe. Even hardware acceleration won't help you much - it's _still_ not good enough for fine antialiased drawing.

Don't believe me? Try to load a 'resource hog' Flash game ( http://www.kongregate.com/games/IriySoft/cursed-treasure-dont-touch-my-gems - for example), right click on it, and set quality to 'low'. Notice how much less CPU it now uses.

5. Uhhh sure[ Go to top ]

With the most recent firefox, I've noticed flash causes crashes 1 crash a day. quite honestly, until adobe overhauls flash and makes it secure, fast and not a memory hog, flash on smart phones is a horrible idea.

In my previous life, I wrote an SWF decoder. Well, let me say that I now have a HUGE respect for Adobe. Flash has the best model for vector graphics I've seen so far (it uses a list of linked regions and not just a list triangles), and its renderer is pretty good.

There's no way you can make something with all the capabilities of Flash (smooth animation, antialiasing, compositing, good font rendering) much faster than Adobe. Even hardware acceleration won't help you much - it's still not good enough for fine antialiased drawing.

Don't believe me? Try to load a 'resource hog' Flash game ( http://www.kongregate.com/games/IriySoft/cursed-treasure-dont-touch-my-gems - for example), right click on it, and set quality to 'low'. Notice how much less CPU it now uses.

I don't doubt it's hard. If adobe can't make it faster and reduce memory usage, then "should" it even be on a mobile device with limited memory, cpu and batter? Of the 3 thing I would like speed, efficient (memory) and stability, I'll settle for stability. If adobe can make flash stable, I'm willing to put up with slow speed and "some" memory hogging.

A long time back I used to work on mobile platforms and apps. Things have come a long way, but at the end of the day my phone should never crash. I hope adobe focuses less on politics and more on stability.

6. He would say that ..[ Go to top ]

"It's much nicer to work with Adobe than just saying 'no'," said Vic Gundotra, Google's vice-president of engineering.

It makes sense: When you're playing catch-up, you make bedfellows of anyone and anything you can ..

Apple has nothing to gain from eroding the value proposition for their platform, since it's already successful without having had to compromise. Such is the dynamic of competition.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy | Oracle Coherence

http://coherence.oracle.com/

7. He would say that ..[ Go to top ]

I still wonder why is Google working with Adobe and Flash? HTML 5 has a promising start with regards to creating powerful RIA based applications. There needs to be a bunch of kick ass widgets!

Today's caption: "the degraded"

8. He would say that ..[ Go to top ]

I still wonder why is Google working with Adobe and Flash? HTML 5 has a promising start with regards to creating powerful RIA based applications. There needs to be a bunch of kick ass widgets!

Why not? I imagine that Adobe pays for the relevant development. And Android is an open platform.

9. compete with Silverlight[ Go to top ]

I heard lot about silverlight and looks Microsoft pushing it heavily. I am just curios how is this going to compete with Silverlight?

10. Google did a wise decision to keep Flash on Android.

i am pretty sure that will extend the Android best User experience.

Along with this Android entered in a wast market of Flash based products.

11. So now

1. The market will get flooded with crappy flash games that will kill that market for the rest of us

2. Even a flashlight application will suck up 80% cpu because its author will decide to add flash banners to his app in order to make a quick buck

3. the average battery life is reduced to two hours and users will blame android

4. crashes will be frequent and users will blame android

I think i'll keep my iphone thank you very much