Discussions

News: Best Practices on JavaScript and AJAX Performance

1. Tools such as dynaTrace AJAX Edition or SpeedTracer from Google have some unique capabilities to trace all JavaScript execution on the web page. dynaTrace also traces calls into the Browser DOM (Document Object Model) and is able to capture method arguments and return values. The following illustration shows a JavaScript trace of a script execution in the PurePath view of the dynaTrace AJAX Edition

By getting this level of details on JavaScript execution it is easy to identify slow running JavaScript handlers, custom javascript code, slow access to the DOM and expensive or inefficient calls into 3rd party frameworks such as jQuery

In the Best Practices for JavaScript and AJAX Performance we list all common problems we have seen when working with our AJAX Edition users, people like Steve Souders or John Resig and our commercial customers over the last couple of months. It includes recommendations on how to avoid blocking script blocks, inefficient CSS Selectors with frameworks such as jQuery, reducing DOM manipulations and XHR calls. The latest beta version of the dynaTrace AJAX Edition implements some of these Best Practices to automatically analyze slow running JavaScript code.

2. Stop, Place Commercial Here...[ Go to top ]

Nearly every article these days reminds me of watching TV as a kid. Every now and again, my favourite programme had to be stopped so they could roll the commercials. I couldn't understand why on earth they would do a thing like that. But now as an adult, I sure know better. Someone has got to pay the bills!

3. Stop, Place Commercial Here...[ Go to top ]

Hi Paul

Just to let you know. These Best Practices are general Best Practices for JavaScript Performance. In order to follow these Best Practices you can use 100% free tools such as dynaTrace, YSlow, PageSpeed, SpeedTracer, ...

Thanks