Discussions

News: RESTEasy 2.0.0 Released!

1. RESTEasy 2.0.0 Released! (10 messages)

Our first major release of 2010.  After a bunch of betas, I'm pleased to announce that RESTEasy 2.0.0.GA has been released.  A lot of work within the RESTEasy community has been done to improve on our last successful GA.  Follow the links from the RESTEasy website to download the new release.  Special thanks to Jozef Hartinger for the CDI integration, Eoghan Glynn for fixing a bunch of bugs, Stef Epardaud for the new Javascript client, and many others for their continuing support.  Some highlights:

• CDI Support
    • Spring 3.0 Support
    • TCK 1.1 Compliance
    • Async Servlet 3.0 Support
    • A new Javascript API.  A javscript servlet scans JAX-RS deployments and generates Javascript code that can be downloaded that can be used as stubs.
    • Relicensed under ASL 2.0.  We switched to be compatible with HornetQ and Drools as we're developing REST interfaces for these guys.
    • Tons of bugfixes and performance improvements reported by the community over the past 8 months.

Browse our release notes for the last few betas to look at all the bugs and features implemented.

The upcoming JBoss AS 6-Milestone 4 release will also have deeper integration with RESTEasy so that you can do automatic scanning, EJB injection, CDI injection, etc.  All the stuff you'd expect from a JAX-RS integrated EE 6 solution.

Threaded Messages (10)

2. RESTEasy = Rest In Peace (R.I.P)[ Go to top ]

This seems like an already-dead-before-released product. Where are you taking all this garbage, Mr. Burke?

Allow that thing to REST IN PEACE, please.

Jan

3. I don´t get it. Why dead ?

4. I don´t get it. Why dead ?

It might be due to this: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/rest-discuss/message/13266

Note that this in relation to REST-*, not RestEasy. Still, if the Pope of REST condemns your catechism...

5. I don´t get it. Why dead ?

It might be due to this: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/rest-discuss/message/13266

Note that this in relation to REST-*, not RestEasy. Still, if the Pope of REST condemns your catechism...

Yes, I am a heretic and am tainting the temple of REST with my evil voodoo!  How dare I suggest that middleware can have a REST interface!  I should instead wash my mouth out with SOAP....  You should link more of Roy's rants.

Other than that, RESTEasy is actually quite successful.

--

Bill Burke

JBoss by Red Hat

http://bill.burkecentral.com

Author of O'Reilly's <a href="RESTful" rel="nofollow">http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596158040/">RESTful Java with JAX-RS</a>

6. I also don't get it. Isn't REST a standard part of Java EE 6 (JAX-RS 1.1)? Isn't JBoss AS one of the most popular Java EE 6 implementations? Aren't many of the APIs available on the web today REST based?

It seems that this technology has a very big potential. If you look at the code examples than you'll see it's absolutely trivial to expose methods from POJOs as a web service. Very powerful stuff really!

Keep up the good work with this! :)

7. Great Product[ Go to top ]

Was able to expose my services to wget and curl in a matter of minutes, keep up the good work

8. RESTEasy 2.0.0 Released![ Go to top ]

The upcoming JBoss AS 6-Milestone 4 release will also have deeper integration with RESTEasy so that you can do automatic scanning, EJB injection, CDI injection, etc.  All the stuff you'd expect from a JAX-RS integrated EE 6 solution.

Looking forward to try this out. I looked at the road map and it seems JBoss AS 6 m4 was scheduled to be released last month. Any idea when we might expect this milestone?

What is the integration with HornetQ exactly about? Does it mean I can use REST/HTTP as the underlying mechanism to send e.g. JMS messages, or does it mean something else entirely?

9. The upcoming JBoss AS 6-Milestone 4 release will also have deeper integration with RESTEasy so that you can do automatic scanning, EJB injection, CDI injection, etc.  All the stuff you'd expect from a JAX-RS integrated EE 6 solution.

Looking forward to try this out. I looked at the road map and it seems JBoss AS 6 m4 was scheduled to be released last month. Any idea when we might expect this milestone?

What is the integration with HornetQ exactly about? Does it mean I can use REST/HTTP as the underlying mechanism to send e.g. JMS messages, or does it mean something else entirely?

Jason Greene, the AS6 architect/lead branched M4 last night.  Its going through QE now.  My guesstimate?  next week?

Yes, REST/HTTP to send messages (not JMS messages, not HTTP tunneling).  You POST simple HTTP messages with whatever content type you want (no envelope format).  Same with receiving.  The goal of the REST + HornetQ integration is:

• zero footprint clients.  Only need an HTTP client library.
    • "Lightweight" cross-language and cross-platform interoperability.  It works with Python, Ruby, whatever very easily.
    • no envelope (i.e.SOAP) or feed (i.e. Atom) format requirements.
    • Leverage, on the back end, HornetQ's uber-fast journal, clustering features, and security integration.

I'm currently working on demos and documentation.  You can check out the code here, although it will be moving to HornetQ's SVN sometime in the mid-future.  Some release and article by the end of the month.

--

Bill Burke

JBoss by Red Hat

Author: O'Reilly's RESTful Java with JAX-RS

10. Hornetq + rest[ Go to top ]

That sounds interesting! Can we send via REST to general queue with non-rest listeners (e.g. JMS), or do both sender and receiver need to be REST?

11. Hornetq + rest[ Go to top ]

That sounds interesting! Can we send via REST to general queue with non-rest listeners (e.g. JMS), or do both sender and receiver need to be REST?

Yes, you'll be able to mix and match REST producers/consumers with JMS producers/consumers.  If the messaging server has the correct JAX-RS handlers installed, you can even do simple transformations.