Spring Fever? MyEclipse for Spring 8.6 is Here

Discussions

News: Spring Fever? MyEclipse for Spring 8.6 is Here

1. Spring Fever? MyEclipse for Spring 8.6 is Here (8 messages)

A joint venture of Skyway Software and Genuitec, this IDE has a heavy emphasis on assisting developers with bootstrapping their projects quickly, building out the repetitive boilerplate code, and using existing technology assets without having to learn a new language or a new development paradigm.   We are also focused on giving developers options for the versions of technologies that they support to include those technologies that are in the widest production use today.

MyEclipse for Spring is available for $199 a year and can be purchased or evaluated free for 30 days here.  As always, current MyEclipse for Spring subscribers can utilize the update at no charge.

A full feature comparison of the various editions of MyEclipse can be found here.

Key MyEclipse for Spring Features:

* Apache Tomcat / Derby Sandbox
    * Spring Project Bootstrapping
    * Scaffolding Wizard
    * Spring Security Wizard
    * Spring Services from WSDL
    * Spring Code Assistants
    * Full Java Profiler
    * Ajax Tools
    * Web Services Tools

Our teams put a ton work into this product, so we would love to hear your thoughts about it on TSS.

Cheers!

Threaded Messages (8)

2. MyEclipse for Spring: $199/year

IntelliJ Idea (personal use): $250 for first year and $150 each year after that. And Idea is not just for Spring only, it's also for JEE, DB, GWT, Guice, GAE, JSF, Seam, Scala ....

I don't say that MyEclipse for Spring is expensive compared to Idea (because I don't know what features it has), but the product name makes me think that it supports Spring only.

3. Thanks for the comment and in response to your observation, MyEclipse for Spring is built into MyEcipse Pro Edition, which is a full featured Java IDE, but with an emphasis on easing Spring coding. Here's a quick list of other features in MyEclipse for Spring:

*JavaScript Debugger *IE Debugger *Java Profiler *UML tooling *Mastisse *Maven *35 Databases supported *Visual MYSQL Query Builder *Ajax tools,  ect...

The full list is here: http://www.myeclipseide.com/module-htmlpages-display-pid-1.html

You can try it out 30 days for free, if you don't like it no need to buy it. Again, thanks for the comment. Cheers! 

4. Why I hate this license model[ Go to top ]

I have been a MyEclipse licensed user in the past but have moved away from it and having fun with Vanilla Eclipse Galileo. I moved away from MyEclipse because it was becoming bloated at each major release and you are FORCED to upgrade, in other words, pay a yearly license, otherwise all the plugins cease to work. I don't understand why they don't offer customers the option to make a one-time purchase. After all, not all developers need all those sexy wizards that come with every major release. Why should I continue to pay you yearly for the effort you put in creating some functionality I don't need?

My advice to the marketing department of MyEclipse: give customers the option to make a one-time license purchase, and your use base would grow. A word to the wise is enough, as the saying goes.

Regards,

Jan

5. Why I hate this license model[ Go to top ]

I have been a MyEclipse licensed user in the past but have moved away from it and having fun with Vanilla Eclipse Galileo. I moved away from MyEclipse because it was becoming bloated at each major release and you are FORCED to upgrade, in other words, pay a yearly license, otherwise all the plugins cease to work. I don't understand why they don't offer customers the option to make a one-time purchase. After all, not all developers need all those sexy wizards that come with every major release. Why should I continue to pay you yearly for the effort you put in creating some functionality I don't need?

My advice to the marketing department of MyEclipse: give customers the option to make a one-time license purchase, and your use base would grow. A word to the wise is enough, as the saying goes.

Regards,

Jan

Jan;

All feedback is good feedback. I understand your concerns, and the subscription model may not be the perfect solution for everyone (just as your IDE of choice may not be).

But, I have received and seen messages in the opposite direction as well. Many customers (especially large companies) love the ability to choose when they upgrade. You're not required to upgrade your version every year, just your license. In essence, you pay for the ability to use the software and have access to support for it for a full year at a super-low price (only $30 or so per year). Having a commercial solution available for that price is often attractive - even if it's an annual cost instead of a one-time cost.

It's our job to annually win your business, and by having so many subscribers renewing every year, we're forced to put out a product that provides overwhelming value - even if you're using a version (like many customers do) that's a couple years old. The value - even of the old versions - continues to be compelling enough to propel adoption growth in the midst of tough economic times and budget slashes. For example, the single hot-sync deployment feature of MyEclipse can save companies $11,000 per year, per developer in hard and soft costs. So for them, $30 is year seems to be easy math.

I'm sorry that you feel anything MyEclipse adds to your development process is not worth $30 per year (by the way, that's 8 cents a day. 8 cents.) Most folks would see the value in having a supported version of Eclipse is worth that price, even if they never took advantage of all the value-add MyEclipse provides, including those fancy wizards.

if you haven't seen, we even include the ability to customize your downloads and installs to fight the bloat so you don't have to wrestle with your tools any more. Manage at download, manage, tweak and streamline even more afterwards.

I appreciate your feedback, and we're always open to suggestions on how we can make your 8 cents a day worth even more. Since time is money, you've likely paid for an entire year of MyEclipse in the time you have spent reading and writing in this thread. Food for thought.

- Jens Eckels, Genuitec Marketing Director

6. Licensing Clarifictaion[ Go to top ]

I should clarofy that the license for MyEclipse for Spring is $199 per year, not $30, which would be the base MyEclipse "Standard" version. The value proposition is the same, only with MyEclispe for Spring you gain all of the Spring development acceleration value-add.

Jens, Genuitec

7. Why I hate this license model[ Go to top ]

I have to say that the licensing model works for me (although to be honest, the price of the spring edition made me think twice). I've used MyEclipse for years, and have personally paid for my own license. The spring edition is pretty impressive. The only thing I would change is a frequent user program, or a loyalty program, or at least a partnered discount with dunkin donuts or starbucks ;-)

8. Why I hate this license model[ Go to top ]

Regards,

Jan

Jan;

All feedback is good feedback. I understand your concerns, and the subscription model may not be the perfect solution for everyone (just as your IDE of choice may not be).

But, I have received and seen messages in the opposite direction as well. Many customers (especially large companies) love the ability to choose when they upgrade. You're not required to upgrade your version every year, just your license. In essence, you pay for the ability to use the software and have access to support for it for a full year at a super-low price (only $30 or so per year). Having a commercial solution available for that price is often attractive - even if it's an annual cost instead of a one-time cost.

It's our job to annually win your business, and by having so many subscribers renewing every year, we're forced to put out a product that provides overwhelming value - even if you're using a version (like many customers do) that's a couple years old. The value - even of the old versions - continues to be compelling enough to propel adoption growth in the midst of tough economic times and budget slashes. For example, the single hot-sync deployment feature of MyEclipse can save companies $11,000 per year, per developer in hard and soft costs. So for them, $30 is year seems to be easy math.

I'm sorry that you feel anything MyEclipse adds to your development process is not worth $30 per year (by the way, that's 8 cents a day. 8 cents.) Most folks would see the value in having a supported version of Eclipse is worth that price, even if they never took advantage of all the value-add MyEclipse provides, including those fancy wizards.

if you haven't seen, we even include the ability to customize your downloads and installs to fight the bloat so you don't have to wrestle with your tools any more. Manage at download, manage, tweak and streamline even more afterwards.

I appreciate your feedback, and we're always open to suggestions on how we can make your 8 cents a day worth even more. Since time is money, you've likely paid for an entire year of MyEclipse in the time you have spent reading and writing in this thread. Food for thought.

- Jens Eckels, Genuitec Marketing Director

Hi Jens,

Thanks for your response. Whilst here, could be frank and open to answer one question for me for the sake of clarity.

Could you please admit to the public reading this that after the one year is due all the plugins are DISABLED and you can't do ANYTHING in the IDE.

Now assume the following scenario. Your deadline is almost at the corner and you realized your subscription has expired. You choose to purchase another renewal by bank wire transfer. Since wire transfer may take up to 5 working days, within that period you're stuck because the MyEclipse IDE is unusable. This is exactly what I want to avoid.

Jens, I'm not saying the $30 is not a good deal. I'm only concerned your licensing model may result in frustrations and missed deadlines.

In short, what I'm trying to say is maintain your current model, because as you mentioned in your post, there are many who are happy with it. But be aware that there are also others, like me, who wouldn't find it convenient and would therefore prefer a one-time price. Why can't you give people like me the option to choose? Why should we all buy subscriptions? Or would that option destroy your business? I really don't get you.

Regards,

Jan

9. Why I hate this license model[ Go to top ]

Could you please admit to the public reading this that after the one year is due all the plugins are DISABLED and you can't do ANYTHING in the IDE.

Now assume the following scenario. Your deadline is almost at the corner and you realized your subscription has expired. You choose to purchase another renewal by bank wire transfer. Since wire transfer may take up to 5 working days, within that period you're stuck because the MyEclipse IDE is unusable. This is exactly what I want to avoid.

Jens, I'm not saying the $30 is not a good deal. I'm only concerned your licensing model may result in frustrations and missed deadlines.

Your request of "admitting" it as such makes it sound as though we are hiding something. So let me be clear so you don't misunderstand...

On day 366 after you purchase your subscription (one year plus one day), the IDE will NOT be completely disabled. It will just begin to nag you incessantly with some reminder screens. After several days of this, however, you will begin to see features being disabled. Just like if you had a magazine subscription, if you don't pay the bills, the issues quit coming. So in your scenario, you have a couple of options: a) suffer through the several days of reminder screens until your license arrives - or b) send a note to our subscriptions department to let them know what is going on and they can often issue a temporary key to use while the bank info goes through or your company processes a PO, etc. We don't want you to be high and dry.

As for why we don't offer a one-time license... our business model is the key to our success. It keeps the lights on, keeps us honest and forces us to deliver value (which you obviously see and have seen). As you know, products comparable with MyEclipse, MyEclipse Blue Edition and MyEclipse for Spring can cost from $1000-$8000 for a license. This is not an exaggeration - look at IBM's RAD.

Products in a "one-time" payment model not only charge large fees, but also often 15-20% support fees annually to have support and access to updates. This means a 20-year career of a developer could cost $20,000+ for the same tool over and over. No one in the industry could afford to do what we do for [under $200 price point for all our products] and stay in business with their sales models. Period.

We also utilize the subscription model to keep us honest. Releasing every 2-3 years like many companies allows a certain lax in the sales cycle that means they know they'll be visiting their customers irregularly, but getting wads of cash each time. We operate differently by forcing ourselves to keep up with the changes in technology and earning the subscription fee with every release - not milking customers over and over. We release every few weeks, not every few years. And this rapid release schedule ties in with our annual value proposition.

By utilizing the recurring subscription model, MyEclipse versions are available in any world market at any time (if we're talking economics). We are also the only folks I know of in the space offering a money-back guarantee, so it's even a risk-free $30 (or $199 in the case of MyEclipse for Spring).

So, while the model is different than what you are used to, it tends to empower customers to demand change in an industry standardized on locking companies in to their sales structure. You never feel locked in, regretful or trapped by MyEclipse. You can opt out at any time and even get your money back if we didn't meets your needs. 

We have never offered a one-time license, and likely never will. Once we do, it would allow us to become complacent, lazy and not feel like we have to earn your money every year. Once that laziness kicks in, all of our customers lose out and ultimately, we lose business. While I'm sorry the subscription model causes concerns for you, the lengthiest license we allow (not by policy - we've even hard-coded the software this way) is a three-year purchase. If that interests you, I'm happy to help.

Jens, Genuitec