Discussions

News: 5 things you didn't know about command-line flags for the JVM

1. Java virtual machines come with hundreds of command-line options, which more experienced Java developers can use to tune the Java runtime. Learn how to monitor and log compiler performance, disable explicit garbage collection (System.gc();), extend the JRE, and more.

2. The article might be good for a complete Java newbie, but for anyone with significant experience, this stuff "should" be old hat.

3. I agree. I would have expected more of Ted Neward.

4. The article might be good for a complete Java newbie, but for anyone with significant experience, this stuff "should" be old hat.

Yes but it is better than scrum, Kanban, cloud  etc bull, that other writers are feeding every where on the web. There is no harm to get remembered these old technical things that most of the developers forget becuase of just learning a new framework every 3 months.

P.S To TSS editor, your captcha really sucks, how come you imagine for users to read the code that is almost unreadable, no wonder TSS is not as active as it used to be.

5. Another lame x things you didn't know[ Go to top ]

A better title would be "5 things you might not know about ..."

6. FWIW, if you need more than just a heap dump, there's -XX:OnOutOfMemoryError option which can execute a user defined command when OOM error occurs.

However, unlike HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError option, it can't be used with HotSpotDiagnosticMXBean - so you can't programatically set this option.

7. 5 things you didn't know about Ted[ Go to top ]

5 things you didn't know about Ted Neward:

1) He's a complete n00b, but with awesome cut'n'paste powers

2) When nobody watches, he mingles with Microsofties, because he likes their t-shirts and free soda (yum, gimme da suga)

3) On his free time, he writes variations of a "5 things you didn't know about YMCA" list

4) He likes TSS because it pays well, and very few people actually read TSS, so he's home free no matter what garbage his hidden monkey staff writes down (the bananas pay off, man)

5) For dinner, Ted prefer fat hamburgers sprinkled with Java beans

8. 5 things you didn't know about Ted[ Go to top ]

I don't doubt his knowledge. "Effective enterprise Java" is a good book and he earned a lot of credits in my book. But the article is lame.. falls in the category "I need to write an article but I ran out of inspiration".

9. 5 things you didn't know about Ted[ Go to top ]

"He likes TSS because it pays well"

Wait what, you actually get payed if you write an article which is good enough to be on TSS?