Discussions

News: PrimeFaces 2.2.M1 Released

1. PrimeFaces 2.2.M1 Released (14 messages)

Prime Technology is glad to announce that PrimeFaces 2.2.M1 is released. This is a major release featuring core enhancements, new components, bug fixes and more. You can get the new release from downloads section at PrimeFaces HomePage.

Here are the highlights of this release, full changelog is also available.

Standard JSF 2.0 Ajax APIs

PrimeFaces is known as the only production ready library for JSF 2.0, although this is true, there was still a lot to improve. We were using a custom ajax implementation based on a phaselistener, that is gone now as we've fully migrated core partial page rendering and all ajax enabled components to standard JSF 2.0 APIs.  2.2.M1 contains all the components we have compared to previous version, no component/feature is left behind.

Standard JSF 2.0 Resource APIs

Another area to improve was resource loading, PrimeFaces had it's own resource servlet to load resources, now with 2.2.M1 it is gone now since we've migrated resource management to JSF 2.0 Resource APIs.

Client Behavior Support

Many PrimeFaces components are now aware of client behaviors, for example you can take advantage of f:ajax or p:ajax on p:spinner, p:autoComplete and many more.

Zero-Config, Lightweight, No Dependencies

As a result of first class JSF 2.0 support, we've removed many stuff and made PrimeFaces more lightweight than ever. PrimeFaces does not require any configuration any more since Resource Servlet is gone and p:ajax is a clientbehavior now. Although we have many new features, jar size is even smaller now.

Brand New DataTable

DataTable is rewritten from scratch, we've fixed many issues and introduced cool features like paging, sorting, filtering, dynamic columns, grouping, live scrolling, in-cell editing, row expansion and many more.

Closed Tickets

In total, 141 tickets in our issue tracker are fixed and closed. These include new features and bug fixes.

New Components

As with any PrimeFaces release, we have new stuff for you. Fieldset, Galleria, Button and new Resizable components are introduced with this release.

Enhancements

In general we've also spent a lot of time for maintenance of current components, almost all components are touched and refactored.

ThemeRoller

This release features more components with themeroller support, tooltip, terminal, keyboard are few to name.

Documentation

User's Guide still covers 2.1 and we'll update it along with 2.2 final release.

RoadMap

So what is next? Next release would be hopefully at first week of october which is 2.2.RC1 and at second week of october we'll release 2.2. final, then start working on building next generation PrimeFaces 2.2.1 which will introduce even more new stuff. PrimeFaces is currently the most popular JSF 2.0 component suite, we'll make sure it stays like that in the future as well.

Threaded Messages (14)

2. Primefaces[ Go to top ]

I personally like Primefaces. But cannot use it. Since it is based on Jquery, I am unable to show same UI across browser.

3. Primefaces[ Go to top ]

Do you mean rounded corners and IE?

4. rounded corners in ie7[ Go to top ]

please tell me how to make ie7 render the new components similar to firefox.

it seems that all rounded corners rendered in firefox are rendered as squared corners in ie. 

5. Primefaces[ Go to top ]

I personally like Primefaces. But cannot use it. Since it is based on Jquery, I am unable to show same UI across browser.

I think you are wrong by saying that Primefaces is based on JQuery. It's based on YUI, from Yahoo.

Jan

6. Primefaces[ Go to top ]

PrimeFaces was mostly on YUI 6 months ago but it's powered by jQuery Core, jQuery UI, plugins and PrimeFaces widgets written by jQuery. Only 2-3 components are still based on YUI and they will also be migrated to jQuery.

7. Looks good[ Go to top ]

I'm not familiar with this project but the demo looks very good. Oracle's ADF library has some really good components too but it is not open-source.

I will have to research some more. Curious about IDE support, for one. 

The demo on the site is slow but I will assume that's the site and not the framework.

8. Looks good[ Go to top ]

If you are using NetBeans, then you are lucky because PrimeFaces is the only supported library in NetBeans 6.10;

http://cagataycivici.wordpress.com/2010/08/29/primefaces-support-in-netbeans-6-10/

For Eclipse Helios, see;

http://cagataycivici.wordpress.com/2010/08/31/primefaces-support-in-eclipse-helios/

Intellij IDEA also added PrimeFaces support recently for their upcoming release.

9. Wicked guys[ Go to top ]

Guys,

I must admit that each time you guys make a release announcement, though I'm not a JSF fan, I visit your site to see what you are offering. To be honest, I  get blown away by the great improvements you've done on your previous work, with stuffs getting even more polished. I hate to admit that you guys are leaving me with fewer reasons to not consider JSF (PrimeFaces) seriously for my next project. I wonder if the time has arrived for me to go shopping around for a nice coffin to bury the current webframework I'm using and welcome JSF. We shall see.

Jan

10. Wicked guys[ Go to top ]

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your feedback.

Do you mind if I put your comment on PrimeFaces Homepage testimonials section? It is really interesting to hear something like this from a non-JSF user.

http://www.primefaces.org/whyprimefaces.html

11. Wicked guys[ Go to top ]

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your feedback.

Do you mind if I put your comment on PrimeFaces Homepage testimonials section? It is really interesting to hear something like this from a non-JSF user.

http://www.primefaces.org/whyprimefaces.html

Cagatay,

You're free to use my comments on your web site. I would also be happy to invite you to the funeral when  I'm ready to burry my current web framework :-).

Great job, though. Keep up the good work.

Jan

12. Wicked guys[ Go to top ]

Guys,

I must admit that each time you guys make a release announcement, though I'm not a JSF fan, I visit your site to see what you are offering. To be honest, I  get blown away by the great improvements you've done on your previous work, with stuffs getting even more polished. I hate to admit that you guys are leaving me with fewer reasons to not consider JSF (PrimeFaces) seriously for my next project. I wonder if the time has arrived for me to go shopping around for a nice coffin to bury the current webframework I'm using and welcome JSF. We shall see.

Jan

Hi Jan, is it possible for you to tell us what web frameworks you're currently using? I'm curious to here.

13. Wicked guys[ Go to top ]

Hi Jan, is it possible for you to tell us what web frameworks you're currently using? I'm curious to here.

Judging from the message title and his previous posts, my guess is Wicket ;)

Anyway, PrimeFaces is really starting to look better and better with each release. I'm mostly using RichFaces now and some Tomahawk components. Last time I tried, RichFaces and PrimeFaces just didn't want to work together. I truly hope that with the JSF 2.0 versions of both libraries this problem will not be longer since standard APIs are used now.

14. jQuery[ Go to top ]

I really, really like this library, but my shop is heavily invested in another UI toolkit.  I'd have to convert PrimeFaces to that tookit to even think about it. :-(

15. PrimeFaces 2.2.M1 Released[ Go to top ]

Cagatay, why new PrimeFaces is using JQuery ? Personally I don't like JQuery that much.