Henrik Stahl responds to Doug Lea

Discussions

News: Henrik Stahl responds to Doug Lea

1. Henrik Stahl responds to Doug Lea (4 messages)

Oracle's manager of Java Platforms, Henrik Stalh, has issued a response to Doug Lea's open letter in which Doug laid out the reasons why he would not seek a new term on the JCP Executive Committee. One of Doug's comments has to do with Oracle using the JCP to rubber stamp it's decisions.

"Rather than fixing rules or ceasing violations, Oracle now promises to simply disregard them.  If they indeed act as they have promised, then the JCP can never again become more than an approval body for Oracle-backed initiatives."

However, Henrik rebukes Dougs statement:

"we don't agree with this bleak description of reality."

Henrik goes on to say that while Oracle agrees that the JCP process needs to be improved, it is still a good organization for the development of Java standards.

One of the points of contention is Oracle's intention to submit a JSR for Java 7;  Doug seems to take issue with how the JSR is being submitted. Given that this JSR is way overdue, is this a case of Oracle just trying to getting it done or is there merit in Doug's complaint?

Threaded Messages (4)

2. Give oracle a chance[ Go to top ]

I'm not saying we should blindly follow Larry, but my bias opinion is to give oracle a chance. They're still trying to work through the acquisition, so it's a bit unrealistic to assume there wouldn't be a transitional period. Plus, oracle would be damaged tremendously if Java stagnated and faded away. A huge part of their business relies on Java and the entire java ecosystem.

Good luck Henrik, you've got a huge task.

3. Give oracle a chance[ Go to top ]

i agree we need to give oracle a chance.

4. Give oracle a chance[ Go to top ]

I disagree.

But what do I know, I'm only looking at Oracle past & most recent history, and not basing my opinion solely on blind faith.

5. Give oracle a chance[ Go to top ]

I disagree.

But what do I know, I'm only looking at Oracle past & most recent history, and not basing my opinion solely on blind faith.

You have every right to be skeptical. I would be lying if I said I didn't have doubts. But I hesitate jumping to conclusions too quickly, since microsoft and ibm have done similar things in the past. I could be totally jaded, but I see it as normal corporate business practices. Looking at it from a money perspective, it's in oracle's best interest to make sure the Java ecosystem remains healthy. Whether that happens is another story. It's up to the community to keep oracle honest. For the record I don't work for oracle, but I have met some oracles employees in the past. My opinion isn't objective, since I've chatted with henrik and cameron over the years and respect both of them.