Agile programming 10 years on: Did it deliver?

Discussions

News: Agile programming 10 years on: Did it deliver?

1. Agile programming 10 years on: Did it deliver? (4 messages)

Paul Kril at Infoworld examines the landscape ten years after the Agile manifesto was launched:

It has been nearly 10 years since programming dignitaries released "The Manifesto for Agile Software Development," which promoted processes that accommodate changing requirements, collaboration with customers, and delivery of software in short iterations.

The agile manifesto was forged in February 2001 when a group of developers convened in Utah to find an alternative to documentation-driven, "heavyweight" software development practices, such as the then-gold-standard waterfall method.

Read more:  Agile Programming Ten Years On

Threaded Messages (4)

2. The Netherlands[ Go to top ]

Although until recently, "agile"  was a fashionable way to develop software in a select number of software shops, the Netherlands has now fully embraced SCRUM as the project management method of choice when it comes to software. Off-shore companies also increasingly work with it (although some of the concepts don't favour geographically dispersed teams). As a software projectmanager, if you don't know SCRUM, increasingly, you won't find work. Although traditional organizations such as banks still follow waterfall, most other organization who want to get things done use SCRUM. I was actually surprised to see how, when I was talking to some Yahoo people, the reply was basically "SCRUM, what's that?". So, perhaps it is isolated to some countries only.

3. The Netherlands[ Go to top ]

So whole countries adopt methodologies now?  Has N. Korea adopted scrum? ;)

4. No precess is better than the people implementing it. I've seen agile methododologies (SCRUM etc) make good teams even better. I've also seen agile make bad teams even worse. I've also seen teams that haden't ever heard of "agile" look at SCRUM only to realize that it was basically the same as what they were already doing.

5. SCRUM[ Go to top ]

Yes, everyone is using SCRUM. But it's not always agile.

The main problem with agile methods is getting the whole organization committed to the process. When using subcontractors, pure agility is almost impossible. People work at different locations, and developers have no direct communication with customer representatives. Oh, and there is offshore development also.

Analysis phase within a project seems to be the most suitable way for getting information in many organizations. People are busy and on occasions unreachable, so analysis workshops are the only way for getting required information from people. This leads to having well defined requirements as backlog contents, and the implementation phase consists of timeboxed iterations. Nothing so agile here.

To me agility is related to going where no man has gone before - the unknown. You don't have a well defined backlog and you're building something based on existing vision. Backlog lives and user stories are added and dropped constantly when understanding of the end result gets clearer. And to be honest, there aren't many developers out there that can be handled a simple user story and they will dig out the details from bunch of people.

In short, timeboxed iterative development is very polular nowdays. It makes progress visible to project stakeholders and makes change requests more lightweigth.