Discussions

News: Oracle and Apple announce OpenJDK project for Mac OS® X

1. In his blog, Henrik Stahl points to an press release stating that;

Apple will contribute most of the key components, tools and technology required for a Java SE 7 implementation on Mac OS X, including a 32-bit and 64-bit HotSpot-based Java virtual machine, class libraries, a networking stack and the foundation for a new graphical client. OpenJDK will make Apple's Java technology available to open source developers so they can access and contribute to the effort

He then goes on to explain why Oracle has been in talks with Apple for some time and wasn't able to respond when news of Java's deprication broke. The post is followed up with a nice Q&A stating when we might expect to see the first OpenJDK release. He also makes a plea to the community to help in moving the effort forward.

This announcement maybe over due but it's one that should be welcomed from those in the Java community. Note that one of Henrik's comments suggests that Oracle is working very hard to deliver 7 on time so it looks like there is more good news to come.

Threaded Messages (14)

2. Great news..[ Go to top ]

Great news.. finally..

3. This is fantastic news.

For the lazy: Henrik's blog

4. +1 Apple

5. But..but..but..[ Go to top ]

Where's the doom and gloom? Where's the hate? I thought we 2 or 3 rogue Mac Java developers were completely screwed. I thought Apple was an Evil company that makes decisions "out of the blue" with no consideration for their customer base. I thought Oracle was the Eviler Twin Brother of Apple that's trying to get Google to take over the JVM by suing them in some facade of a law suit and settling it with "Oh, sorry, our mistake. Here's Java, take it away" then wringing their hands "Thank heavens that albatross is off our back" in their smoke filled back rooms (not in California of course, but a secret Nevada hideaway with a private air strip for the executive jets).

Man, the narrative is all wrong. I'm all confused.

6. But..but..but..[ Go to top ]

Where's the doom and gloom? Where's the hate? I thought we 2 or 3 rogue Mac Java developers were completely screwed. I thought Apple was an Evil company that makes decisions "out of the blue" with no consideration for their customer base. I thought Oracle was the Eviler Twin Brother of Apple that's trying to get Google to take over the JVM by suing them in some facade of a law suit and settling it with "Oh, sorry, our mistake. Here's Java, take it away" then wringing their hands "Thank heavens that albatross is off our back" in their smoke filled back rooms (not in California of course, but a secret Nevada hideaway with a private air strip for the executive jets).

Man, the narrative is all wrong. I'm all confused.

Great great great post!  Things aren't always bad as it seems.  We need a similar announcement on the JCP side to counter all the negative BS from Apache.org et. al.

7. Apple joins OpenJDK[ Go to top ]

It's great to see this announcement come out (finally!)

I know the Java group has been working with Apple for some time to get to this point, so congratulations :-)

Now we need to finish and successfully deliver Java 7.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy | Oracle Coherence

http://coherence.oracle.com/

8. Apple joins OpenJDK[ Go to top ]

I know the Java group has been working with Apple for some time to get to this point, so congratulations :-)

it's just such a shame that apple couldn't have held its tongue, or be persusaded to hold its tongue, on the deprecated java thing for a couple of weeks.  there's enough noise around java at the moment anyway, without giving the hysterical blogosphere more fuel for the fire.

it's been a serious problem with clumsy corporate comms interacting badly with the "java is dead" meme.

9. This is nice.

We have Apple, IBM, and Oracle on the OpenJDK train.  Google, are you getting on board too? :)

10. So, for now OpenJDK=Oracle+IBM+Apple. Maybe that's why Oracle sued Google, maybe the real stake is OpenJDK=Oracle+IBM+Apple+Google ...

11. Strimbei, you've seen the future, my friend. That's how it will be - Java (or I should say, the JVM) will be free, in the sense that it will have the few heavyweight software vendors behind it supporting it, as is the case with Linux today. The equation is correct - Java/JVM = Oracle+IBM+Google+the world - where everyone who feels capable and has the time and/or money to pitch in, can and will do so.

The other future you may or may not be aware of, which is offtopic for TSS, is the upcoming death of Windows and OS X and the liberation of the operating system world for the common desktop as well as notebook/laptops/netbooks/tablets/mobile phones - it's called Wayland. Intel, RedHat & Canonical are seeing to it that it does happen.

The future is great. God is great.

12. Awesome news! Hey Apple, how 'bout releasing Hypercard now.

13. Great![ Go to top ]

Really really happy with this! :D

Why couldn't Apple & Oracle spare us from all these doom thoughts by simply coming with this announcement first and then deprecating the Apple made Java?

But what's done is done and there's light at the end of the tunnel again :)

14. Great![ Go to top ]

Why couldn't Apple & Oracle spare us from all these doom thoughts by simply coming with this announcement first and then deprecating the Apple made Java?

Because then there'd be no drama and this announcement wouldn't seem quite as significant. If Oracle had announced this at the same time as Apple announcing it was deprecating it's version, it'd have been a non-event. But now when you make it seem as if Java on Mac OS X is in jeopardy, it makes the announcement that much more interesting. 

Ryan-

15. hase[ Go to top ]

There is a really interesting reporting/docgen system where you design the templates in Microsoft Office. Makes the layout trivial. There's a good review of it at An Evaluation of Windward Reports.

http://www.javareports.info/windward_review.htm