Hello,

i am currently studying software engineering and so i am exploring Java Enterprise Edition 6.

I have to implement a typical Web Application as of an example ("Book Store") given in Antonio Concalves "Beginning Java EE with Glassfish". The Design Pattern is classical Model View Controller Pattern with a controller class, named queries in the Entity classes, Remote Facade Interface and a GlassFish / DerbyDB Persistence Layer.

By now i have implemented a normal project structure with an EJB and a WAR Module. The WAR Module features an index.xhtml for application startup with two command links and two pages behind them (one for entering a new record and one for displaying data in a GridView).

The page (lets call it createBook) features just some inputText elements and a command button for submitting the record.

Clicking the button triggers an javax.ejb.EJBException. The Stack Trace shows an Unsupported Operation Exception.

it shows:

at $Proxy232.findAllBooksSortedByTitle(Unknown Source)

the Method findAllBooksSortedByTitle is implemented in the facade class. the method calls a named query which is defined in the entity class.

//THE FACADE:

@Stateless
public class BookFacade extends AbstractFacade implements BookFacadeRemote {
    @PersistenceContext(unitName = "EntAppBook-ejbPU")
    private EntityManager em;

//....

//the method:

@Override
    public List findAllBooksSortedByTitle()
    {
        return this.em.createNamedQuery("findAllBooksSortByTitle", at.rz.entity.Book.class).getResultList();
    }

//NAMED QUERY ANNOTATIONS IN THE ENTITY CLASS HEADER:

@Entity
@NamedQueries({
@NamedQuery(name="findAllBooks", query="Select b from Book b"),
@NamedQuery(name="findAllBooksSortByTitle", query="Select b from Book b order by b.title"),
@NamedQuery(name="findAllBooksSortByAuthor", query="Select b from Book b order by b.author.lastName")

})

public class Book implements Serializable
{

//...

}

Now, as you see the naming of query definition and call is not divergent. this cannot be the cause.

so i don´t know how to fix this error.

checking the database shows, that the records have been successfully submitted.

i hope that the professionals around here know help.

Many thanks in advance

roland