Discussions

News: Breaking News: Man Uninstalls JDK, Reinstalls New Version Successfully

1. Today, a developer with no special skills managed to uninstall multiple versions of Oracle's (and Sun's) JVM from his Windows 7 machine, and successfully installed the 1.6.0_23 (released yesterday) afterwards.

Asked how his difficult tasks were accomplished, the developer said, "I dunno, I went to Control Panel, Programs and Features, and selected all five or six of the Java development kits and runtime environments, and just... uninstalled 'em."

Then, he downloaded the 1.6.0_23 JDK and installed it. "Well, for that, I just, you know, went clicky clicky on the download thingy and then it ran for a bit. Then I opened up a command.com thing, or whatever, and ran 'java -version' to make sure it said the right version and everything - I like to test. Momma taught me well."

Industry insiders were amazed that such a simpleton was able to succeed in the complex and nearly impossible task, that daunted a Java Champion into saying that Java on the client was dead. "Surely he's a genius," one analyst who might have been from Forrester claimed. "BTW, Java is dead."

Another industry pundit claimed that this was proof that maple syrup was bad for dogs.

Threaded Messages (14)

2. Cue the napalm, classical music and slow motion fly by.

3. the fake news[ Go to top ]

This is the second unfunny piece of fake news in a week. I hope this isn't a trend. Can you just save it for April 1 please?

4. Lighten up...[ Go to top ]

...it was hilarious!  Some great advice I was given when taking information in:  "Take what you can use and let the rest go by."  If you no likey, just let it go by, then.  Jeez.

5. the fake news[ Go to top ]

This is the second unfunny piece of fake news in a week. I hope this isn't a trend. Can you just save it for April 1 please?

It's not fake news. Every sentence in it of substance is true. In other words, the industry commentary is made up, but the actual "uninstall jdk, reinstall jdk, have no problems in contrast to java champion who says java is dead because of how hard it is to uninstall java" thing is absolutely true.

6. More specifically...[ Go to top ]

In reference to: http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=61460

7. the fake news[ Go to top ]

I wish you had just posted this as a comment on Cameron McKenzie's article. Plus, if it were real journalism, you would have given the developer's name! :)

8. the fake news[ Go to top ]

I wish you had just posted this as a comment on Cameron McKenzie's article. Plus, if it were real journalism, you would have given the developer's name! :)

Read carefully. I did... just not in the article!

9. Point Taken...[ Go to top ]

Hey Ken.

From an editorial standpoint, your point is well taken. We'll try not to make it too much of a trend. I just thought this entry was somewhat timely, if not a little smug and a tad funny.

We won't try to take on The Onion in terms of fake news or sarcastic journalism.

Regards,

-Cameron

10. the fake news[ Go to top ]

1. It was VERY funny - to me.  I don't know you so I can't know the reason it was not funny to you. I have  a sense of humor and i thought the same thing when i saw the "article" he is referring to.

2. I hope it is a trend. Better than a lot of things I read. We need some humor with the garbage we have to deal with daily.

3. If he waits till April 1, not one will remember. And you will still not thing it is funny. And people will STILL complain.

I would bet that he would refrain from posting this sort of thing if other would refrain from "Java on the client is Dead" and "Java in the Enterprise is A Dead End" and etc.  Honestly other than making fun of these sorts of things, there is not much else one can do because they will not listen to reason.

Note: I having a bad day. :) LOL.

11. the fake news[ Go to top ]

Although I was frustrated with it, I realize that I did find the posting funny, and it's funny because it points out some truths about our community. In that way, it's also informational.

What would solve the whole thing for me is if the articles were tagged and I could filter those articles out of my RSS feed and put them in another feed. For me, some times are strictly for work, and some times I'm more open to play. The announcement of the creation of Slashdot's Idle section captures a lot of what I'm trying to say.

http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/08/14/1512250

12. To install Eclipse, I unzip it into a disk. 

To uninstall, I simply delete the Eclipse directory.

How simple is that !

13. I hope there'll be a news like this tomorrow:

After successfully uninstalling and then installing JDK 1.6.0_23, I locked my computer and went home. This morning, there's a message of a new JDK version greeting me on the screen. I click on the OK button, make a couple more clicks and when it's done, I go to the command prompt and type "javac -version" and see "javac 1.6.0_24". Haha, the JDK is now on a par with Firefox 4 nightly build or Chrome in the auto-updating aspect.

14. lol, indeed this is very humorous. As a matter of fact this is exactly what i did when i wanted to un-install several versions of jdk from my machine. but like Aries McRae pointed out it would be nice to just have a zip install version like sun used to have many years back.  At least as a developer i would prefer a zip than the install package.

15. Anti-FUD[ Go to top ]

This may not be news, but I think it is very appropriate, given there is a related topic posted previously that was trying to spread FUD.

Now if we can somehow get this piece into the original blog that started the FUD.