Word Lens - translation app for iPhone, works on the fly

Discussions

News: Word Lens - translation app for iPhone, works on the fly

1. Quest Visual has created an app called Word Lens for the iPhone, available on iTunes. It translates printed text on the fly between spanish and english. Incredible, totally justified my iPhone.

There's an introductory video on Youtube, where someone picks up posters with Spanish on them, and the app translates the Spanish words to English right there. It's a little hard to believe, because it keeps nearly the same fonts and colors and stuff, but it's still awesome. The language packs are $5.00, but compare that to Rosetta Stone, and do the math.

It actually works - which must have been pure hell to write. Kudos to Quest Visual!

No sign of it in Android market, more proof that Android is what you buy when you can't handle having an iPhone.

Threaded Messages (6)

2. Huh?[ Go to top ]

I've read some dumb comments on here that give Slashdot a run for its money, but this one is the worst in a while:  "Android is what you buy when you can't handle having an iPhone."

3. Huh?[ Go to top ]

You're an android owner, I take it?

4. Huh?[ Go to top ]

You're an android owner, I take it?

I actually own one of both.

5. Huh?[ Go to top ]

So you bought an android, then realized you wanted to step up in the world and get something useful, then. :) :) :)

Good for you! Do you have an Acer and a Macbook too?

6. Huh?[ Go to top ]

So you bought an android, then realized you wanted to step up in the world and get something useful, then. :) :) :)

Good for you! Do you have an Acer and a Macbook too?

I actually had an original iPhone for almost 3 years, then bought a Droid Incredible, which I prefer a good deal more than the iPhone.  And, yes, I happen to have a MBP too, as well, though I hardly see how that's relevant.

My issue with this "article" is the smug condescension that oozes from it.  A friend referred to that as the "institutional arrogance" that many Apple fanboys seem to have.  It seems inconceivable to many of them that someone might actually prefer a non-Apple product.  This dreck seems to exemplify that perfectly.

How, for example, does the lack of an app in the Android Market show that Android users "can't handle" an iPhone, and, most importantly, what does that even mean?  If anything, I would think that the lack of the app in the Android Market shows that iOS is still enjoying its first mover advantage.  

7. For the record i own a iPhone4, 1 macbook pro and 8 pc. The world lens looks cool and I love my iPhone4, but there's no need to bash android. Google is working on a similar thing and there's a video of some of the stuff they're working on. More competition is good in my mind.