Scheduling principals in Java applications

Discussions

News: Scheduling principals in Java applications

1. Scheduling principals in Java applications (4 messages)

Many projects require scheduling functionality, such us scheduled jobs, repeated jobs, asynchronous execution etc. In this short article, the basic principals regarding scheduling are discussed. Check it out at the following URL:

JavaCodeGeeks: Scheduling principals in Java applications

Threaded Messages (4)

2. Please fix title[ Go to top ]

I don't think it means what you think it means.

Ian

3. Please fix title[ Go to top ]

No kidding.  I don't even know where to start on this one.

4. Odd title[ Go to top ]

Yeah, I was a bit thrown by the title as well. Probably just a translation problem.

I agree that JMS is a good alternative to in-process schedulers (like quartz or java's own various Executor implementations), but not for the reasons the author forwards. Scheduling tasks with unpredictable run-time lengths is a general problem, whichever framework you use. And Quartz is definitly "smart" enough to handle long-running tasks and limited pools in a predictable (and configurable) way so that talk about long lived tasks would create "problems" for the "framework" doesn't really make any sense to me.

The main pro for JMS based scheduling is that it creates a foundation for clustered execution (which quartz has as well, to be honest) AND it allows you to build a task-queue that can survive a JVM restart (which, again, Quartz can do as well). The con is that you'll have to implement a lot of the scaffolding and "framework" code yourself so there is a "re-inventing the wheel" issue...

5. Our in-house Java scheduler answers to many of these needs.

For more details, see :