Discussions

News: VirtualBox 4.0 released

1. VirtualBox 4.0 released (3 messages)

Oracle has released VirtualBox 4.0, a virtual machine they acquired as part of Sun. Changes include new virtual hardware support, better memory capacity for 32-bit hosts, resource limits, and others.

VirtualBox is a VMWare equivalent, where it allows you to start a process that acts like a separate machine hosted in your operating system. You'd download it, install an OS image into the virtual machine, and run it; this allows you to use one machine to act like two (like you're running Linux right alongside your Windows machine or whatever.)

Developers use this sort of arrangement for testing, or development (for example, there's a Java development image with JavaFX, JDK 1.6, Netbeans 6.9, and Glassfish, although it's for VBox 3.2, instead of VBox 4. VirtualBox 4 won't load it, I tried and couldn't see where .vmdk files were supported.) This sort of thing is also found in operations centers; people buy monster rack-mounted machines like this Cisco UCS device, and then install virtual machines onto that.

This allows you to run a private cloud, for example, and you get isolation between nodes in the cloud (in addition to being able to use different OSes, so if Windows has a feature you need, you can run it right alongside your Linux box.) The key here is to make sure the rack machine you get doesn't suck.

This sort of deployment architecture is what companies like VMWare use to make their money, enough that they could afford to eat SpringSource. I wonder if Oracle was thinking of doing the same sort of thing - it's really big business lately, from the amount of coverage the concept gets and the activity of companies who use the "cloud" as marketing.

So this update is a good thing - VirtualBox is free and open source, unlike some of its competitors, and it looks really pretty nice.

Threaded Messages (3)

2. Running OSes as peers[ Go to top ]

VMWare Client runs in a guest / host configuration, so it's not really accurate to say that the two OSes run along side each other.  One runs as a guest on the other.  I believe VirtualBox uses the same kind of host / guest configuration.

Bare metal hypervisors offer the ability to run peer OSes, but underneath the hypervisor.  The hypervisor acts like the host, partitioning resources to the OSes.  In theory this should let you run Linux and Windows as peers on modern desktop or laptop hardware.  Over a year ago I looked for a hypervisor that would let me run Linux and Windows as peers on my laptop, but didn't find anything.

Now Citrix has created XenClient which does just that:

http://www.citrix.com/English/ps2/products/feature.asp?contentID=2300345

My laptop is not supported, unfortunatley.

3. Running OSes as peers[ Go to top ]

VirtualBox doesn't recognize already installed GRUB partitions. Is there a free software that works well with GRUB?

4. Looks very nice[ Go to top ]

This looks very nice. Good alternative to having to dual-boot a machine.

Oracle has some pre-built stacks available at:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/community/developer-vm/index.html