"Should I still learn Java?" Answered: Yes.

Discussions

News: "Should I still learn Java?" Answered: Yes.

1. "Should I still learn Java?" Answered: Yes. (5 messages)

Mark Graybill wrote up "Should I still learn Java?", saying that even with people thinking Oracle isn't doing good things with the community, that Java's still a winner.

After a lot of fluff about how popular java is, and it's very popular, despite its death thanks to a Java Champion being unable to uninstall and reinstall and all, and a point about how many editions of Java there are (the mobile editions, all 800 of them including java-alikes like Android, Java SE, Java EE, as well as alternative deployment environments like the cloud and all), he gets to a point where tenses mix:

The most important reason. Which is apparently composed of six reasons, which are:

• it is a good language that's fairly easy to learn,
    • expressive enough to do a lot of different things effectively,
    • easy to develop sophisticated modern programs in
    • without too much work for an individual or small group of developers,
    • gives access to all the important parts of the machine (graphics, sound, filesystem, peripherals)
    • and what you learn travels well to other languages when you go on to learn them.

Heh he said "sound." and "graphics." And knowing java doesn't mean you know how to count.

But that's okay - his points are all pretty good. Java is going to be around, and Oracle's not going to do anything that hurts it. So yeah, it's a good idea to learn Java, even if you begin today.

Threaded Messages (5)

2. Why not[ Go to top ]

Java has been good for me when learning OOP, concurrency problems, GUIs, ...

Today though I'm sure we can learn these things from new languages.

3. Why not[ Go to top ]

Java has been good for me when learning OOP, concurrency problems, GUIs, ...

Today though I'm sure we can learn these things from new languages.

Better yet, also learn from old languages like prolog, smalltalk, lisp and several other languages.

4. Heh he said "sound." and "graphics."

Point being?

5. I'd think that Java's support for sound and graphics would be serviceable but not anywhere near what I'd consider "good."

6. Should I still learn Java to ... become Rich as hell?  No

Should I still learn Java to ... win the Nobel Prize?  No

Should I still learn Java to ... become a celebrity?  No

Should I still learn Java to ... guaranteed steady inflation adjusted income without using my brains?  No

Should I still learn Java to ... flame python developers about not having curly braces?  Hell Yeah!

Really.. what's the point of this topic?