Jevgeni Kabanov gets some reactions to the Java EE productivity report

Discussions

News: Jevgeni Kabanov gets some reactions to the Java EE productivity report

1. Ottinger wasn't impressed. Oracle's Duncan Mills was annoyed. Ian Skerett of the Eclipse Foundation was boastful and the King of Tapestry, Howard Lewis Ship, was disappointed.

In one of Jevgeni Kabanov's latest blog entries, he's provided some of the more interesting feedback that his survey has received, including comments from the Oracle, JBoss, Tapestry and even JSF camps. There was even a bit of a re-flaming of the JSF debate with Edward Burns, the JSF Specification lead doing a round with Matt Raible, whose recent reviews of Java Web Frameworks have been less than kind to the JSF crowd.

Read the full report:

Reactions to the Java EE Productivity Report 2011

By the way, both Jevgeni Kabanov and Matt Raible will be presenting two sessions each at TheServerSide Java Symposium (TSSJS 2011) in March. Register before February 11th and take advantage of the Early-Bird discount.

Threaded Messages (8)

2. Go Intellij[ Go to top ]

Nice to see that Intellij had 22% of IDE market of people surveyed.  I hope this number grows with the availability of the core IDE as an open source download.  I've tried a few times over the years to switch to Eclipse and found that Intellij has always been more polished and professional, and ahead in a lot of features I care about.

3. Go Intellij[ Go to top ]

Going from IntelliJ to Eclipse is like going divorcing a hot chick and marrying a pig.

4. Go Intellij[ Go to top ]

Going from IntelliJ to Eclipse is like going divorcing a hot chick and marrying a pig.

Why? What makes this true? I get that a lot of people say it, but it's all opinion, usually comes out like me newphew's "because."

5. Go Intellij[ Go to top ]

Why? What makes this true? I get that a lot of people say it, but it's all opinion, usually comes out like me newphew's "because."

I'm also curious to know.  I downloaded the free version and it seemed really awkward and dated to me.  I'm not saying Eclipse is without it's flaws but it's gotten much much better over the years.  I wonder sometimes if people haven't tried it in a while or are/were using RAD/WSAD.

6. Bill's probably used to using eclipse with jboss tools plugin, so of coarse Intellij looks good to him. :p

I noticed Pete Muir's eclipse (also using jboss tools I think) locked up during yesterday's jboss webinar 'The Programming Model for EE6'.

7. Go Intellij[ Go to top ]

I wish I knew. I know that every time I use Eclipse, I want to dig my eyes out with a rusty fork, but maybe it's just because I'm used to Idea. OTOH, I didn't enjoy Eclipse before I switched to Idea, either.

I think Bill's analogy is reasonable. If I switch to Dell+Linux, I'll probably switch to Eclipse, too. And pick up a rusty fork while I'm at it.

Of course, I work with at least a few people who are just as vehemently sold on Eclipse.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy | Oracle Coherence

http://coherence.oracle.com/

8. Go Intellij[ Go to top ]

Its more like going from a Macbook to a Dell notebook running Linux.

9. Go Intellij[ Go to top ]

Nice to see that Intellij had 22% of IDE market of people surveyed.  I hope this number grows with the availability of the core IDE as an open source download.  I've tried a few times over the years to switch to Eclipse and found that Intellij has always been more polished and professional, and ahead in a lot of features I care about.

Sorry to disapoint you, but free edition is just useless for web application development. No support for jsp, jsf, web servers, spring, jee, .... it's as featurefull as notepad.