National UK News Paper the Guardian adopts Scala

Discussions

News: National UK News Paper the Guardian adopts Scala

1. The Guardian, a national news paper in the UK, adopts Scala for its new Content API (http://content.guardianapis.com) as its first project in Scala. To find out more about this exciting project and to learn how the project team managed the transition and learnt scala as a team (coming from Java), watch this SkillsCast video, featuring Graham Tackley, and with lots of practical examples and code samples - 

http://skillsmatter.com/podcast/scala/how-we-mostly-moved-from-java-to-scala/wd-1331

Threaded Messages (10)

2. Why should we care?[ Go to top ]

Wendy,

What has this f***ing news to do with server side Java? Or am I missing something here? Sigh ...

3. Why should we care?[ Go to top ]

Because the fact that major companies are adopting Scala makes it more respective and easier for us to 'sell' the idea of Scala to management.

4. It's Tough...[ Go to top ]

It's always tough picking articles for the newsfeed. Any time I post something that doesn't talk about Servlets and JSPs, I always run the risk of someone complaining "What does this have to do with server-side Java?"

The thing about Scala is that it will run on a JVM, the same Java Virtual Machine those servlets and JSPs are running. In fact, this ability isreally what the JVM is all about: the ability to run more than one language on the JVM.

The TSSJS conference this year has the theme of "Pervasive Java" where Java is everywhere, but it's not always Java as we know it. We'll be looking at all sorts of different technologies that are leveraging the JVM, and we'll be exploring what Java professionals need to know about these languages if they want to continue to be relevant in the industry. James Gosling will be speaking and addressing some of these ideas as well. It will be a great show:

javasymposium.techtarget.com 

5. It's Tough...[ Go to top ]

It's always tough picking articles for the newsfeed. Any time I post something that doesn't talk about Servlets and JSPs, I always run the risk of someone complaining "What does this have to do with server-side Java?"

Cameron,

I have seen you written silly comments before but I must say this is by far the silliest comment you've written so far. It's an insult to suggest that your readers expect to see Servlets and JSPs mentioned in posts before they qualify them as Java related. By this lame comment of yours you are insaulting the intelligence of your precious readers. The very people who help put food on your dining table by accepting all those horrible front page pop up ads you bombard them with at each visit to Theserverside. You must be ashamed of yourself. And above all, you must apologise to your readers. Do that NOW!

Regards,

Jan

6. re: Why should we care?[ Go to top ]

Because Scala is an interesting language, it has some sort of relation to Java, and it runs on the JVM. 

I definitely consider this piece of news very interesting. It's also not flamebait, no criticism of alternative technologies, and not poorly written.

And server-side Java is... well, serviceable, but boring ;-)

7. Re. Why should we care?[ Go to top ]

You're missing something.

8. Why should we care?[ Go to top ]

Jan, firstly - the language and tone you use is pretty unnecessary, since you're demanding apologies - how about one to Wendy?

Secondly, yes an article on Scala can be seen as being out of scope for the TSS.  Reality is that the Java eco-system is changing and it's increasingly looking like the modern Java developer will be picking and choosing from a raft of JVM languages in order to solve their server side development problems.  Does this mean that the TSS will change it's name one day to match this new trend?  I'll leave that up to the editors :)

I for one would expect a site such as the TSS to keep me up to date with the trends - YMMV.

9. Why should we care?[ Go to top ]

Well, I'm a server-side Java developer, and I find articles about Scala not only relevant, but very high up my list of interests.

10. Re: Why should we care?[ Go to top ]

I think anything related to the JVM is relevant to Java developers, and as long as the TSS articles have good titles, indicating what they are about (this is not always the case, but most time it is) I cannot understand why you complain that this information (which they can choose not to read) is shared with the community.

Is it that you just don't like Scala, and the "threat" that it replaces Java in the future?

11. The Guardian, a national news paper in the UK, adopts Scala for its new Content API (http://content.guardianapis.com) as its first project in Scala. To find out more about this exciting project and to learn how the project team managed the transition and learnt scala as a team (coming from Java), watch this SkillsCast video, featuring Graham Tackley, and with lots of practical examples and code samples - 

http://skillsmatter.com/podcast/scala/how-we-mostly-moved-from-java-to-scala/wd-1331

A very nice piece.  Thanks for posting.  It has inspired me to take a serious look at Scala now, moving from an initial position of speculative curiosity.