Discussions

News: Call for votes for the Hudson project rename

1. Call for votes for the Hudson project rename (18 messages)

As has been pointed out on TSS a number of times, Hudson - the CI tool - has been claimed by Oracle as its property. The independent developers are trying to fork it into another project, and are hoping for the community's voice in the matter.

Kohsuke has put out a call for votes:

When the representative of Oracle says it to my face that I should just go find something else to work on, or that I need to immediately stop making [infrastructure] changes or the next email I will receive will be from their lawyers, or when you hear him describe me as a hurdle to the community, I think writing on the wall is pretty clear to me.

As such, regardless of the outcome of the vote, I find it very unlikely that I can continue to contribute to the Hudson project, and thus I will move on on Jenkins. I can’t control what others do, but I can at least decide what I personally do. While days leading up has been rather hard on me emotionally, now that I made up my mind, I actually feel good (besides, it’s such a nice day in San Jose today.) I’m confident that many key core and plugin contributors (who has made Hudson what it is today) will join me, and I hope users will follow us too (which is the other part of what made Hudson what it is today.)

What I’d like to ask the broader Hudson community is to have your voice heard and give us your support by voting. That you want to be with us. It lets us maintain the continuity of the project, it gives us legitimacy, and it sends a singal to the unaware silent majority which way they should follow. It’s the best way to maintain our community.

One way to vote is:

1. Join the Hudson google group (hudson-dev).
    2. Send an email to hudson-jenkins-vote at googlegroups dot com with "A" in the title if you favor renaming to "Jenkins," or "B" if Oracle has commanded you to continue the status quo like a good little robot.

Simple stuff, and worthwhile, even if you vote to maintain the status quo. Democracy in action, you might say.

More complete instructions can be found here.

Threaded Messages (18)

2. Prince?[ Go to top ]

Could we call it Prince? Or perhaps "The Project Formerly Known as Hudson." Just a couple of ideas to get the ball rolling.

3. Joking Aside...[ Go to top ]

Joking aside, this is a time-sensitive request with a short timeline. Get your vote in.

4. Name submission[ Go to top ]

Winston

5. Name submission[ Go to top ]

Jeeves

6. Name submission[ Go to top ]

CITOS

CIMAHI

CIBIRU

CIAMIS

Just few name from rural town in West Java - Indonesia

7. One way to vote is:

1. Join the Hudson google group (hudson-dev).
    2. Send an email to hudson-jenkins-vote at googlegroups dot com with "A" in the title if you favor renaming to "Jenkins," or "B" if Oracle has commanded you to continue the status quo like a good little robot.

Simple stuff, and worthwhile, even if you vote to maintain the status quo. Democracy in action, you might say.

More complete instructions can be found here.

Did you read that complete instruction yourself?

Quote from there:

The vote between renaming and status quo starts now. Anyone currently 
    subscribed to either hudson-dev or hudson-users as of when I send this email 
    out is eligible to vote. You can only vote once - if you vote multiple 
    times, only your last vote will be counted. The voting will run for 72 
    hours, until noon PST on Saturday, after which I will announce the results. 

Note that in order for your vote to be counted, you had to be subscribed when the vote was started. No point in asking people to subscribe now and voting.

8. worked for me[ Go to top ]

I subscribed yesterday and voted.. no problem..
  9. Send an email to hudson-jenkins-vote at googlegroups dot com with "A" in the title if you favor renaming to "Jenkins," or "B" if Oracle has commanded you to continue the status quo like a good little robot.

Joe, this does not add anything of value to the conversation, and is instead divisive and destructive.

Enough already. There is a cost to the relentless negativity, whether or not you see it on your bill this month. When we allow ourselves to degrade in the same manner as the caustic conversation, we ourselves become tools of destruction. Is that how you wish to be remembered?

Not everything is deserving of polarization. There are more colors than black and white. We are members of a vibrant community worth fighting for, not simply spectators of two sports team duking it out.

I encourage you to fight for what you believe in, but do so positively, or do it not at all.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy | Oracle Coherence

http://coherence.oracle.com/

10. Civility and Respect, if you please[ Go to top ]

I agree with Mr. Purdy. People should make up their own minds.

In this particular case, I find myself more sympathetic to the folks wanting the rename/fork.  Oracle's approach to this situation was a bit off-putting, but I wouldn't say their arguments are totally without merit.

11. Cliffside notes?[ Go to top ]

Hi Cam,

What are your cliffside notes of this issue?

Thanks,

Cédric

12. cliff notes?[ Go to top ]

Obviously, I have paid close attention internally to this topic, and I have watched the episode unfold in a relatively ungraceful manner. Internally, my opinion has not been solicited on this topic, so I have restrained myself from commenting publicly on the same.

I do believe that Oracle has a long way to go in terms of encouraging, investing and participating in the community, and I (and many others) hope to influence our organization positively in that regard.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy | Oracle Coherence

http://coherence.oracle.com/

13. cliff notes?[ Go to top ]

Yes, looks like a loss here for all parties.

Unfortuneate, but understandable and probably expected ... I've have had some negative experience with my OS framework and a corp in the past, so I understand Kohsuke issues.

14. New Name[ Go to top ]

Lets call is famous "NIBURU"

15. Haha, Jenkins means "pussy" in swedish. It will not be a success over here.

16. Not true[ Go to top ]

There is no such meaning of "Jenkins" in Swedish, from two different native speakers.   Don't know where you got this information, but it's incorrect.   In any case, the voting is done, and Jenkins is the name.

17. What about James, then?[ Go to top ]

What about James, then? On continental Europe everyone thinks all English butlers are called James.

18. What about "Unami", which use to be the old name for the Hudson river.

19. How about: El Caro - translates to The Expensive (according to Google Translate) and associates to it's origin (read backwards).