Discussions

News: OSGi updates Java bundling spec

1. OSGi updates Java bundling spec (2 messages)

The OSGi component framework has evolved over many years, expanding from an embedded systems standard to finally encompass Java enterprise servers. With last year's formal roll-out of OSGi Enterprise Specification Release 4, Version 4.2, it has found wider use. At the same time, OSGi has retained a reputation as a complex technology, more for systems programmers than mainstream application developers.

In the next OSGi rev, a former composite bundle model has been replaced by a resolver hook mode. A possible easier alternative or adjunct to OSGi modularization takes the form of Java Jigsaw (JSR -294) specs. But that has been a modering project in recent years. OSGi, with its flaws, is here and now, relatively.

One Java technologist says: ''I've always been convinced that the last thing Java needs is yet another module system. Multiple implementations are good but multiple specifications for exactly the same purpose are just not good."

Read more

2. The 'Is OSGi ready for the mainstream?' debate has been going on for some time.  I sat down with some OSGi experts (as a Java developer curious about OSGi), my findings are be summarised here.  To cut a long story short, it's still not quite there for the average app developer, but it's certainly worth investigating seriously.

I think the Jigsaw vs OSGi cold war will go away (judging by Mark Reinhold's comments at EclipseCon). I suspect now that IBM and Oracle are 'good friends' that they will work something out (whether it's behind closed doors or not who knows).

Cheers,

Martijn (@java7developer)

3. Translation to English please ?[ Go to top ]

"that has been a modering project"