With new release of JDK 7, a lot of really useful features has been developed, some of them I have write off before in this blog (JSR 203 and JSR 166y). In this post I am going to talk about one new small enhancement. This new feature is the addition of java.util.Objects class. This class is similar to java.util.Arrays or java.util.Collections but for objects instead of arrays or collections

This class offers nine methods grouped by four groups: equality, hashing, nullables, and toString. Let's examine all of them.

• compare(T a, T b, Comparator c):int => Returns 0 if the arguments are identical and c.compare(a, b) otherwise. Consequently, if both arguments are null 0 is returned.
  • deepEquals(Object a, Object b):boolean => Returns true if the arguments are deeply equal to each other and false otherwise. Two null values are deeply equal. If both arguments are arrays, the algorithm in Arrays.deepEquals is used to determine equality. Otherwise, equality is determined by using the equals method of the first argument. This operation is useful if you want to compare two objects and you don't know exactly if Object is a "single" object or an array. This method manages this problem, and compares both instances correctly.
  • equals(Object a, Object b):boolean => Returns true if the arguments are equal to each other and false otherwise. Consequently, if both arguments are null, true is returned and if exactly one argument is null, false is returned. Otherwise, equality is determined by using the equals method of the first argument. And I suppose you are wondering "nice but I have an equals method in object class".

Read the Full Story for more details and code examples.