Discussions

News: Record Java Unit Tests of Ajax Applications

1. Record Java Unit Tests of Ajax Applications (2 messages)

TestMaker Object Designer is a new open source test utility from PushToTest. Designer simplifies test creation and maintenance. TestMaker 6 comes with everything you need to build tests, operate tests, and present the results graphically and with minimal training.

Designer records tests in Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Opera. Designer is a good open source alternative to Selenium IDE and the proprietary products from HP and IBM.

Supports Adobe Flex Automation API to record and playback functional tests of Flash and Flex (SWF) applications.

Data-enable tests using simple drag-and-drop features, includ adding assertions and check-points to tests visually. Designer handles Ajax and Javascript asynchronous events without additional test scripting. Designer support If-then, looping, and conditional test execution without scripting.

Download at http://www.pushtotest.com

2. I've reviewed the website but from the page that describes the differences between the open source and enterprise version, it's not entirely clear how far the open source will take you. "Repurposed Selennium"? What does that mean? Also pricing is not available for the enterprise version: contact us for a quote, which I always detest. It just gives me the general feeling that the open source version is basically just enough to make you realize that you really need the enterprise version. I'd love to stand corrected. Anyone have experience with this tool?

3. Hi Marc:

"Repurposed" is our term for taking an existing Selenium script and running it in TestMaker as a functional test, load and performance test, and production monitor. The proprietary test tools make you buy separate products for each type of testing and each product has its own language. TestMaker does all three using the same single test script. (And that's true about Sahi, soapUI, HTTP Archive HAR, jUnit tests, and a dozen others.)

TestMaker source code is in our svn repository. Details are in the "community" page at http://www.pushtotest.com/community.html. Over the years we helped medium and large size organizations to move from manual to automated testing, and from proprietary to Open Source Test (OST) using our tools. They asked for a pre-built and certified installer for TestMaker. That's where TestMaker Community comes from. It's the entire suite built from the svn source. The only things it doesn't do are described on that comparison page: deploying tests to the cloud, advanced reporting, advanced data production libraries, etc. TestMaker Community has no limits on functtional testing, and a 50-virtual user limit for load testing.

Sorry about the quote form but we have customers like PepsiCo who need millions of virtual users and Wells Fargo Bank who needs special functional testing for Ajax applications. When we put the pricing on the site it caused more confusion than it answered. The pricing begins at $20,000 USD per year and goes up depending on specialized support, training, consulting services you need. The price is usually a fraction of what you would pay for a proprietary product.

The manual and tutorials are at http://www.pushtotest.com/testmaker-6-user-guide

Did you try the download?

-Frank

I've reviewed the website but from the page that describes the differences between the open source and enterprise version, it's not entirely clear how far the open source will take you. "Repurposed Selennium"? What does that mean? Also pricing is not available for the enterprise version: contact us for a quote, which I always detest. It just gives me the general feeling that the open source version is basically just enough to make you realize that you really need the enterprise version. I'd love to stand corrected. Anyone have experience with this tool?