Discussions

News: Tutorial: Cross Platform Mobile Sync App

1. Tutorial: Cross Platform Mobile Sync App (2 messages)

This tutorial covers how to develop a cross platform mobile app that is fully synchronized with the Cloud. The technology used for cross platform development is Titanium, and the Cloud is provided by
    OpenMobster.

The tutorial covers the following topics:

• Building an App with a single codebase for multiple platforms using JavaScript
    • Keeping this App in sync with a backend database using OpenMobster's Sync Service
    • How to handle Push notifications in a platform agnostic manner

Tutorial: http://code.google.com/p/openmobster/wiki/TitaniumGetStarted

Thanks

2. phoneGap is better , more people using it and supports lot of features on lot of devices.

3. Shawn:

I decided to standardize OpenMobster's write once run anywhere layer purely based of its clean and modular architecture. It provides a Module Development Framework to integrate native services like OpenMobster with the JavaScript layer. As far as their Mobile API support goes, it is also quite extensive. I am not too sure about how it stands in comparison to PhoneGap.

Having said that, you can use OpenMobster with PhoneGAP on Android. There is a Java/JavaScript two-way bridge to expose the OpenMobster native API to the PhoneGAP layer. An example is here: http://code.google.com/p/openmobster/wiki/HTML5SyncApp

Example is not PhoneGAP, but it would be the same approach.

Another downside of this approach is that for iPhone there is no two-way communication between the JavaScript/Native layers. Its is Cocoa but not iPhone (weird). You have to use a custom HTTP approach, but this approach does not have return values. Without return values, the OpenMobster layer will not be able to work.

Hope this clarifies you question on PhoneGap. Besides PhoneGap there are many other frameworks. We picked the one that works best in my opinion

Thanks

Sohil