What features of Java have been dropped in Scala?

Discussions

News: What features of Java have been dropped in Scala?

1. Despite more complex and less intuitive syntax compared to Java, Scala actually drops several features of Java, sometimes for good, other times providing replacements on the standard library level. As you will see soon, Scala isn't a superset of Java (like Groovy) and actually removes a lot of noise. Below is a catalogue of the missing features...

Read more at :

Java Code Geeks: What features of Java have been dropped in Scala?

2. Title is misleading...[ Go to top ]

I would rephrase it... 

It sounds like "What features did Mercedes dropped from the bicycle". Oh gosh - those pedals and the bell are gone!

:)

Best,

Nikita Ivanov.

GridGain Systems.

3. Scala also dropped a whole developer community afraid of change.

4. I personally use Scala on a daily basis at work (for minor projects), and I mostly like it. However, the added complexity makes it a very hard sell internally. Once Java 8 is out, with closures and the other niceties in v7's Coin, I may actually drop Scala. 

And, BOY, can traits bite you in the ass (when last-wins is wrong, which it occationally is in any non-trivial system.)

5. Well, it might be a good time to plug a new JVM language which has potential to become big: http://confluence.jetbrains.net/display/Kotlin/Welcome

It has most of nice Scala features and almost none of its warts (there is a built-in support for breakable/continuable loops!). And it has a full support of JetBrains, so this language will have a great IDE from the day one (there is still no good Scala IDEs, though IDEA with Scala plugin is becoming more usable).

6. Kotlin? Aside from a dumb name, what's the point of making another languages indistinguishable from the other slew of JVM languages, with no new compelling features? It's painful to watch the time being wasted.

7. There are no new features in Kotlin. Everything has already been tried and tested in other languages. However, their _choice_ of features is unique. And quite better than in other JVM languages.

And, as I've said, they are writing IDE support in parallel with the language development. That's a new feature in itself.

8. There are no new features in Kotlin. Everything has already been tried and tested in other languages. However, their _choice_ of features is unique. And quite better than in other JVM languages.

"Better" is highly subjective. I've looked at Kotlin, and there's a number of things *I* don't like. Most of all, it's just another Java-like language with no real advantage.