Discussions

News: Would you trust an embedded device with your life?

1. Over the last 10 years, embedded technology has expanded enormously to serve an ever wider array of industries. Some of the most exciting applications are in the field of medical treatment. Here are just a few of the items you can find in the patient care arena that may incorporate one or more embedded devices:

• Blood pressure monitor, pulse oximeter, EKG, and other vital sign monitoring equipment
    • GlucoWatch and similar continual blood sugar monitoring devices
    • Robotics equipment used in surgery
    • Pacemakers and cardioverter-defibrillators
    • Scanning equipment (MRI, PET, etc.)
    • Automated delivery systems for medications (including chemotherapy)
    • Intelligent prosthetics such as digital hearing aids

As microprocessors get smaller and smaller, there may come a day when most of us are walking around with embedded medical devices literally embedded in our bodies. But would you trust an embedded device with your life? 

Read the full article here:

Would You Trust An Embedded Device With Your Life?

2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_pacemaker

3. IMHO, I ask before trusting anything is ... do I have a choice not to? If I do so, of course not!!

It's like taking pills that have severe side effects.... but then you do take them because side effects become a breeze compared to the main problem :) [Some examples come to mind are: Marijuana, Arthritis Medication, Cholestrol Medication ... I think after a certain age, you weigh pros to cons and don't question]