Discussions

News: How Scala changed the way I think about my Java Code

1. Some people advocate their preferred language as the only way to enlightenment and productivity boosts way in the two digit percentage range compared to another language in the same category. I don’t believe it. (It’s probably true when you compare things like Java and Assembler, but few do that).

There are others that tell you the language doesn’t matter at least not between languages like Scala and Java. I think they are wrong as well. The reason is: Although I don’t actually use Scala during my day job it does affect my Java Coding. Here are some of the things I noticed:

Java Code Geeks: How Scala changed the way I think about my Java Code

2. Immutability[ Go to top ]

I too appreciate Scala's emphasis on immutability. I can see that influencing some of my Java code.

-- David Sims | Flux | workload automation, managed file transfer

3. I do agree with most of the points, but stopping using java generics is a bit extreme for my taste.

We too at GridGain love Scala. As a matter of fact, after discovering Scala a couple of years ago, we have introduced our own functional library and switched our code and public APIs to FP approach. This significantly improved usuablity of our public APIs and significantly shrank our internal code. But we do use generics quite actively, despite of their limitations in Java.

--Best