Discussions

News: Yes, Virginia, Scala is hard

1. Yes, Virginia, Scala is hard (9 messages)

Let me first say that I am a Scala lover and have been a Scala champion for almost 5 years. I've written books and articles on Scala. I've worked with dozens of companies that have launched Scala and Lift projects. I've code reviewed many dozens of Scala projects.

I used to think that Scala was easy. It was, and continues to be, a cure for some of the numerous problems with Java. From the "stuff that's hard or impossible in Java is simple in Scala," Scala is a very easy language. Dealing with collections is super easy in Scala. Isolating business logic making programs much more maintainable is vastly easier in Scala than it is in Java.

So, why is Scala hard? Here's the best list I can come up with...

Read more at :

Java Code Geeks: Yes, Virginia, Scala is hard

Threaded Messages (9)

2. Yes, Virginia, Scala is hard[ Go to top ]

Do you mind attributing the source to David Pollak, the original author of this article? And while you are at it, you should also point people to the latest blog entry he wrote with some more clarifications. The title seems to imply an indictment of Scala which it is absolutely not - a better title should have been - 'Scala is hard for average developers' and really, that shouldn't come as a surprise.

3. Yes, Virginia, Scala is hard[ Go to top ]

We always attribute sources to their original authors. Just take a look at the end of the specific article on Java Code Geeks.

Regards

4. Yes, Virginia, Scala is hard[ Go to top ]

> a better title should have been - 'Scala is hard for average developers'

No need. Stuff that is hard for average people is just called hard. "For average xyz" is implied and hard need not be specially qualified.

> that shouldn't come as a surprise.

Maybe to us... now. But if that was mentioned in the docs or on the main web site, that it will be hard to grasp, average developers (who don't follow blog debates on the language yet) will be able to have more realistic learning expectations.

5. Hard. Is a relative term[ Go to top ]

I can see if the author would have used the term "Challenging". But. Hard ?

It all depends on who is doing the exploring.

6. Show me.[ Go to top ]

Hey David, to quote you. "Things that are Impossible in Java, that are simple in Scala"

Give me an example of what is "Impossible" in Java, that is possible in Scala.

7. TSS Editors[ Go to top ]

Why link to some regurgitation of some blog post ? Just link to the actual post.

8. TSS Editors[ Go to top ]

First of all the original author - David Pollak - is a JCG (Java Code Geek) thus is a part of a Java developer community that is committed to share their knowledge and experiences so as to help each other. As with all of our JCG members we have granted full privilege to republish and promote every article they write that we believe is valuable to the rest of the JCG community.

Furthermore we (the Java Code Geeks community founders) are Java developers ourselves and have contributed first (and still contributing) with high quality articles. That is the reason that we do not want to simply maintain a link aggregator site but a site that will host the most valuable content for the Java developers community.

Now to your question ... 

Just because by submitting the link pointing to the reposted article (hosted on Java Code Geeks) and not the one pointing to the original author's blog we promote not only the specific author's work but the work of all the Java Code Geeks community; since our site is the entry point for them all. That is our obligation towards all our community members!

As far as content duplication is concerned I just wanted to pinpoint that in the majority of cases we do not just copy and paste content; We perform lexical and syntactical corrections (since many of our JCG partners do not speak English as their prime language) along with article and code snippets formatting so as every article to be as readable as it gets.

Regards

9. TSS Editors[ Go to top ]

Quote : "As far as content duplication is concerned I just wanted to pinpoint that in the majority of cases we do not just copy and paste content; We perform lexical and syntactical corrections (since many of our JCG partners do not speak English as their prime language) along with article and code snippets formatting so as every article to be as readable as it gets."
    Sorry, but reading this 
    "Posted by: Justin Cater, Posted on: September 09 2011 12:22 EDT

Let me first say that I am a Scala lover and have been a Scala champion for almost 5 years. I've written books and articles on Scala. I've worked with dozens of companies that have launched Scala and Lift projects. I've code reviewed many dozens of Scala projects."

looks like copy and paste to me. Nowhere does the name of the real author appear.

10. Culture[ Go to top ]

Your developers come in at 9:15 and leave before 6 and don't check work email at night: Hard

Well, I totally agree with the comments in the original article for that sentence.

I always try to remember to myself to frequently read Michi Henning editorial on good programmers

http://zeroc.com/newsletter/issue22.pdf

It helps.