Discussions

News: JavaOne: Relegated to the alcoves of OracleWorld

1. JavaOne: Relegated to the alcoves of OracleWorld (9 messages)

Last year’s handling of the beloved JavaOne conference by Oracle eluted plenty of ideas with regards to how to run a better show in the future. Sadly, it looks like one of the most obvious suggestions, to integrate the JavaOne exhibition hall into the greater OracleWorld conference, has been ignored. 

The massive OracleWorld exhibition halls, hosted inside of San Francisco’s massive Moscone Center, are nothing short of amazing. The sheer size, along with the number of sponsors, exhibitors and attendees walking through the auditorium creates a fantastic vibe and feeling of excitement.

A powerful, symbolic message

The right thing to do last year, as Oracle hosted JavaOne for the first time, would have been to put all of the JavaOne exhibitors smack dab in the middle of the big Moscone exhibition hall. It would have been a powerful, symbolic message to send out to the community, indicating that despite all of the cookie jars in which Oracle has their hands, the Java platform would be a central part of their future success. Even if the sentiment wasn’t necessarily true, it would have at least left the Java community with a warm and fuzzy feeling about how the new stewards were embracing the technology. And when you attend a conference like this, you should be leaving with a few ‘warm and fuzzies,’ not concerns and consternations.

Compare the JavaOne Exhibition Hall at the Hilton to the OracleWorld exhibition halls at Moscone South and Moscone West

Tucked away into the alcoves

But instead of being snugly nestled inside of OracleWorld, the JavaOne Exhibition hall was tucked away into the alcoves of the Hilton Hotel, located a fifteen-minute trek down the street from all of the fun stuff going on at the Moscone, leaving the JavaOne crowd to feel like second-class citizens.

A lose-lose situation

The small and tucked away venue gave attendees the impression that JavaOne was an afterthought, and not an integral part of the party. The relatively remote location also killed the vibe, robbing JavaOne exhibitors of the significant foot traffic they would have received if they were banked shoulder to shoulder with the rest of the OracleWorld crowd. It was a lose-lose situation, both for sponsors and attendees alike.

Optics aren’t reality. Optics are just optics. But optics do have a major affect on perception, and if Oracle wants to fight the perception that Java isn’t a top priority, they need to change the optics at JavaOne. Don’t relegate the Java community to a back corner down the street from where everything else is happening. Instead, embrace the Java community, and make them a central, both literally and figuratively, part of the annually OracleWorld shenanigans. Sadly, Oracle is repeating this mistake of the past. Maybe in 2012 they’ll do things differently.

Threaded Messages (9)

2. No surprise[ Go to top ]

That is exactly why I will not attend JavaOne until it becomes it's own conference again.  Last year we felt like second class citizens and I'm sure I'm not the only one who provided feedback stating just that.  This is proof that Java is NOT a primary concern for Oracle.  Perhaps they really did just want to sue Google.

3. its sad ...[ Go to top ]

I thought this sad fact there had only been in the Brazilian edition of JavaOne / Oracle Open World. We Brazilian developers, had this same impression of being treated like second class citizens.

4. I think it all boils down to image. Generally, a Java professional looks bearded, nerdy and ugly, always wearing shorts and t-shirt. They walk in the conference like a Communist looking for a shop to buy Vodka. Whereas an Oracle professional looks neatly shaved, in a decent suit and talks well. Oracle is shy of being associated with Java professionals. That to me justifies the second-class citizen treatment of Java professionals by Oracle.

So Java dudes, you have some work to do before Oracle can accept you as equals.

Jan

5. For every person who says the right thing to do would be "put Java One in the middle of Oracle World" there's a "Java One needs to be separated far from Oracle World and made it's own conference".

It's almost like you can't please everyone or something ;)

6. Serious, Joking, Happy[ Go to top ]

@Jan I'm not sure if you're serious or you're joking.

@Donaly I'm content if they just keep me happy.

I see what you're saying, how it should be a 'separate' conference. Maybe keep the conference separate but integrate the exhibitors? Even just to put them all together just once would send a good message. Then again, I guess there's always the issue of space.

7. Serious, Joking, Happy[ Go to top ]

As an exhibitor at JavaOne, I don't really want to spend my time explaining 'what is a Java IDE' to Oracle DBAs or other non-Java literate people.  I am happy to have a JavaOne expo hall away from Open World.  Now it would be nice to have it in a nicer place.

8. Serious, Joking, Happy[ Go to top ]

I think the real solution is simple:

Hold JavaOne at some other time than OracleWorld and put it back in Moscone.

Trying to hold OracleWorld and JavaOne at the same time is a logistical nightmare for SF hotels, etc.

The only downside is that JavaOne's big Oracle-sponsored party would be second-class compared to OracleWorld's, but that's a small price to pay.

9. Serious, Joking, Happy[ Go to top ]

+1. OracleWorld and JavaOne are just two fundamentally different conferences...

10. It migh be the last one[ Go to top ]

I agree with Oracle completely missing it by not having Java section at  OracleWorld.

Looking at the size of the JavaOne pavilion (microscopic), the selection of vendors and the tech tracks (tiny), this year JavaOne migh well be the last one, at least as a standalone show. I don't see anything wrong with it. There are some ten or so smaller but mature shows (TSS, InfoQ, NFJS, Jasoon, JAX, ...) and tens of very active JUGs with lots of stuff going on. There is plenty to choose from.

Regards,

Slava Imeshev

Cacheonix | Clustered Java Cache