At Yellowfin, we understand that implementing a Business Intelligence (BI) solution, particularly for the first time, can be a daunting process. Getting it right from the beginning is critical for:
- Fostering a favorable business culture around reporting and analytics
- Securing ongoing executive backing
- Your career
We’ve compiled a shortlist of non-negotiable cultural and technical elements that must be practiced and adhered to to ensure success.
1. Identify potential issues before they become a reality: Develop a comprehensive roadmap to success, carefully sign-posting potential project stumbling blocks, so that appropriate solutions can be devised. Consider such issues as: Are your data sets complete and accurate? Do you have a master data management framework in place? Is your delivery team adequately staffed and appropriately skilled? Do we have sufficient hardware to support our BI goals?
2. Start the evaluation process early: Most BI vendors will assert that their product contains all the latest technological wizardry and addresses the specific needs of your industry or organization flawlessly. However, this will not be the case. Taking the time to conduct a thorough proof of concept will reveal a myriad of underlying differences. There is no such thing as “the best” BI tool – select the one that best suits your needs.
3. Let business users make the final purchase decision: BI is designed to increase the capacity of business people to meet and exceed their workplace goals. The BI solution that they perceive to be the most intuitive and helpful is the right one for your business.
4. Fast, easy and seamless – select a single-integrated BI application: Many BI tools are an amalgam of moving parts, creating a system that is difficult to integrate, manage and navigate. Reduce user resistance and implementation timeframes by selecting a single-integrated BI solution.
5. Ensure your chosen BI vendor will/can support you: Determine your vendor’s capability (and willingness) to deliver adequate services support and training throughout the implementation process. Obtain documented agreement on the level of services, support and training incorporated in the initial purchase order as well as expected timeframes to resolve issues.
Where to next?
Stay tuned for part two of this blog series – Yellowfin’s top 10 keys to a successful Business Intelligence deployment (P2).
For more on Yellowfin, visit http://www.yellowfinbi.com/ where you’ll find whitepapers, brochures, blogs and video.
For a one-on-one personalized demonstration, simply register your details here: http://www.yellowfinbi.com/YFContact.i4
Keen to try Yellowfin for yourself? Register your details here: http://www.yellowfinbi.com/YFRequestEval.i4?currentPage=24427
For regular news and updates follow Yellowfin on Twitter (@YellowfinBI).